Need advice on possible termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasdan27

Greetings everyone. I am trying to figure out my options here.

I am employed as an IT person at a company in TN. I have been here for years and have received good evaluations and raises almost every year.

Recently they have eliminated part of the Operations staff and have been making me take on the added responsibility. These have made me have to work later without any additional compensation.

I have heard that they are about to make more changes that would make me have to be here from 7:30 a.m. until after 6 every day without additional pay. My original hours that I was told when I was hired were 8:30 to 5. These jobs and what I am doing is not what I was hired to do and my actual position as the IT person has not changed. If I refuse to do these I know they will terminate my employment.

I am just wondering what options (if any) that I have in this case.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

There is nothing in the law that prohibits them from adding additional duties to your responsibility, and nothing in the law that requires them to add to your compensation when they do. You are free to ask them for a raise; they are free to say no.

So your options are to (a) accept the new responsibilities at the same compensation; (b) refuse the new responsibilities and be fired, taking your chances that you will get unemployment (I can see it going either way); (c) ask them to reconsider your compensation, understanding that they have no legal obligation to do so; or (d) look for other employment where you will be compensated more appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back