Need advice on a situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdl91881

I'm looking for some advice as to what to do with a situation I have.

On Janurary 1, 2005 I moved into a house that was up for rent. I paid the landloard a $400.00 security deposit. I never signed a lease but we had an agreement to rent on a month to month basis until he could draw up the lease. The agreement was $400.00 a month rent due on the 10th of every month with a 30 day notice before I could leave. Due to personal isue that came up, on Janurary 13, 2005 I moved out of the house. I placed a stop payment on the security deposit check at that point. Now the landlord is taking me to small claims court.

What I'm wondering is if I should just pay him the $473.00 that he is requesting(1 month rent, plus bank fees incured due to the stop payment of the check) or do I have a case due to the fact that no lease was signed?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I would. You probably owe him a month's rent unless you have a reason to have terminated the lease for breach. You had at least a "month to month" agreement with him that would probably, under law, be able to be terminated with one month's prior notice. You might owe him two month's rent if it goes to court and he says he couldn't find someone to take your place...

mdl91881 said:
I'm looking for some advice as to what to do with a situation I have.

On Janurary 1, 2005 I moved into a house that was up for rent. I paid the landloard a $400.00 security deposit. I never signed a lease but we had an agreement to rent on a month to month basis until he could draw up the lease. The agreement was $400.00 a month rent due on the 10th of every month with a 30 day notice before I could leave. Due to personal isue that came up, on Janurary 13, 2005 I moved out of the house. I placed a stop payment on the security deposit check at that point. Now the landlord is taking me to small claims court.

What I'm wondering is if I should just pay him the $473.00 that he is requesting(1 month rent, plus bank fees incured due to the stop payment of the check) or do I have a case due to the fact that no lease was signed?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back