Need Advice ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny

I have been given a new job description that causes a pay cut and limits my ability to effectively perform my job. I have been told I need to sign the job description or else I will be fired, or I can resign. I have not been given a reason for the change. I have been told that I am performing my duties exceptionally, but that I have an attitude that needs to be fixed. When I asked for specific examples of the attitude, I was not given any.

I work as a youth counselor. When I was hired, I was informed that my salary was lower than others in similar positions because I had the ability to work as a substitue teacher to supplement my income. There is a long history with the company of youth counselors working as substitutes. The new job description requires that I do not substitue teach at all, unless it is my day off. I asked if they would increase my salary to make up for the difference in pay, and was informed that they felt I made enough money, and just needed to cut back on personal spending.

Six months ago I met with my boss for a performance review. I received a very positive review, and the subject of substitue teaching came up again. My boss agreed that the subbing actually helped my position as a youth counselor, and was once again encouraged to sub as much as I felt appropriate.

This new job description came with no warning, no discussion, and no incidents.

Do I have any legal rights here?

Last edited:
"...This new job description came with no warning, no discussion, and no incidents" You may not like the answer, but there is nothing illegal here.

"Do I have any legal rights here?" Your right to ask for a clarification is protected; as far as the right to change their position regarding your job description, no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back