National Recovery Group (George Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone's credit been affected

Hi,

I am so glad that I found this site. I have a direct question. Has anyone's credit been negatively affected by this nonsense. That's all they can do to us. So fo rthe people that have been receiving letters for a long time, has your credit been affected?

Adding my name to the list

Hi,

I got the letter too, except I've waited till the 10 day notice - still nothing has happened to my credit.

From what I've gathered in the thread: 1) the debt is real, 2) it has been handed off to ANRG to collect, but 3) there is no recourse for them to pursue this debt if payment is refused.

So if you feel obligated to pay all taxes you are due then you should pay. But if you feel this is outrageous, and can endure more harassing mails/phone calls, then you can sit tight until the 15 year limit hits. I think I'll take my chances...

Please add my name to the list if there is going to be a class action suit.

Thanks.

George Dodd National Recovery Group

Kudos to Doreen in the Town of Middletown, CT for her helpfulness.

I also sent a pleasant letter to the Mayor of Middletown detailing the poor service of Mr. Dodd and urging the Mayor to terminate the Town contract with Mr. Dodd as soon as possible. CarFax ($29.99)and AutoCheck ($14.99) can also provide all the information you need to settle that you registered the car elsewhere.

Molasses

I just thought I'd detail the path I'm taking in case someone reads this thread later and is in my shoes.

Kind of like the great guy (to whom I should send money) who had pictures of the $15 washing machine part I needed to purchase to avoid a $200 service call. :)

So, after sending my form, $5 (which is why I didn't go with CarFax or AutoCheck), and a letter requesting a copy of the title for the car in my name to the state of Illinois, 10 days later I got the following:

1) A print-out of the title numbers listed for the vehicle
2) A copy of the form I filled out requesting the title (not dated)
3) A copy of the CT title I sent them with #2 above.

Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled, so I called up Springfield. The first lady on the phone didn't even give me her name. When I asked her to whom I could speak about not getting the records I requested, she told me to file another letter with the records division.

Because that sounded ridiculous, I waited ten minutes and called again. I spoke with a very nice lady who saw that, indeed, I was not sent what I asked for, and she put a copy of my title in the mail and I got it three days later.

Given that July was quite the busy month and I had the proof I needed, I set the problem aside for a quiet moment. Of course, this just gave Mr. Dodd a chance to send me another nastygram. What I found interesting was that the threat amounted to making it "difficult to obtain credit with our client" and providing "an adverse credit history with our client." This is suitably vague enough for me not to be certain of what it means. But the surface-level reading is not something that concerns me.

He also added 1.47% to the amount he thinks is due him. That's an APR of about 19.2% Probably better than most credit cards, come to think of it.

So, needless to say, I sent a letter detailing the situation to the tax assessor's office. I provided a copy of my Illinois title as was requested over the phone and a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that they could send me, in writing, evidence that (1) the tax, applied in error, was relieved and (2) that they had contacted ANRG to that effect.

I also put an end-date to the whole affair stating in the letter that, if I haven't heard from them in a month, then the matter will be considered to have been settled satisfactorily. I'm not sure how legal that is, but I figure it couldn't hurt. The letter was sent certified/return-receipt. I haven't gotten the return-receipt yet, but usps.gov says the letter got there.

Lastly, I just sent off a very short note to Mr. Dodd stating that the information requested by the tax assessor's office has been sent to them and that they will get in touch with him with further instructions. That should re-set his nastiness timer for another month which should be enough to finish this whole affair.

So, either I hear back from the tax assessor's office one way or the other in a month or I hear nothing. If its the former, then I'll act on their information. If the latter, I don't know what else to do except sit tight and weather an ANRG hissy-fit should it come.

I should probably order a credit report on myself next month just to make sure all is well. Nobody replied to bcaf2677... so I don't know if anyone has had their credit affected by this nonsense.

Much luck to all.

Daylight or train?

I just received both the return receipt and my self-addressed, stamped envelope from the tax assessor's office. All they sent me was a print-out of my tax bill with the hand-written notes "Cancel" and "faxed to collection agency" on it.

So, I'm guessing that I'm square with the town of Middletown. I don't know what will happen with Dodd. I have heard Myster E on this earlier thread:

www_thelaw_com|forums|showthread_php?t=3528

state that ANRG is willing to do rather underhanded things to try and squeeze money out of people.

Time will tell.

interesting fact (or so it seems)

is it any coincidence that all of us who are receiving these notices are actually living out of state now?

I am in the same boat- being accused of not paying car taxes in Middletown in 1997, when I actually lived in Branford starting in 1994. I lived in CT until 2004, but I'm only getting this now? Yeah, right. It's a scam, these people should put in jail, and the municipalities who have signed on to this are just as pitiful.

is it any coincidence that all of us who are receiving these notices are actually living out of state now?

I am in the same boat- being accused of not paying car taxes in Middletown in 1997, when I actually lived in Branford starting in 1994. I lived in CT until 2004, but I'm only getting this now? Yeah, right. It's a scam, these people should put in jail, and the municipalities who have signed on to this are just as pitiful.

Ignore it.

The fact they are using a collection agency indicates they have already classified the so-called debt as a charge-off.

It is no longer on their books as an outstanding debt.

National Recovery Group (George Dodd

I see I am not the only one having a issue with a dept collection from American National Recovery Group that is not accurate. I just received a letter from them today addressed to my husband in regards to a dept for a 1994 Dodge Shadow. I am not sure if my husband ever owned a Dodge Shadow. I am also not sure how long my husband lived in CT. It would have been for a brief time while he was in school for the military. The date the bill was due according to the letter was 7/01/97. My husband was, and is still stationed in the state of Georgia. He has lived here since 1995. I have documentation from his orders at the time, which show he was stationed on the USS Pennsylvania (submarine) since Feb of 1996, so I find it somewhat odd that he owes money to the town of New London when he did not live there!! I am going to send a registered letter to Mr. Dodd with a copy of his orders from that time period, and a copy of the sailor dept relief act letting them know that they are legally not allowed to take any action since my husband is currently deployed and won't be available to dispute this false claim until after the first of the year. It is obvious to me that this is a complete scam!! Pretty frustrating that I have to deal with this crap when I have enough to worry about while my hubby is gone. There has got to be something that can be done to stop these people!

I got a letter today, and am writing my response letter. I left CT in October 2003, with two registered vehicles, which means my taxes were paid. My name is also misspelled, and they are stating the same tax in two different amounts for one vehicle, one under the temporary plate number and the other under the permanent plate.
All CT cares about is taxes, they tax everything there, and give nothing in return. I was living in New London, they closed one end of the road I lived on to do some sewer repairs (assuming from the stench) that lasted about two weeks. Not so bad, except the road at the other end was a one-way. Then they closed the exit end of that road, since the road it dumped onto had a water line break. For a week and a half, the only option to get out was to go the wrong way down a one-way street, which frequently had a cop sitting there.

As far as this guy- Screw him. Typical southern New England windbag.

One More Intended victim of George Dodd

Here is the gist of my response to ANRG.
Dear Mr Dodd,
Three days ago I received your 24 Oct letter. In response I make the following numbered statements, which I swear to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
1. My full name is Jxxx R G..., not J... E G... as your letter was addressed
2. I reside at 12345 my street, my city, NC and have resided at that address since 1 Oct 2003.
3. I have never resided in the City of New London, CT.
4. I do not, and have never, owed any money, taxes or otherwise, to the City of New London.
5. I do not own, nor have I ever owned, a 2000 Saturn automobile.
6. I have never had a vehicle registered in my name, in any state, bearing the tag#961XXX.
7. C.... G...(also addressed in your letter) is married to my son J....
8. They both lived with me during portions of 2004 and 2005.
9. They have not l;ived with me in more than four years.
10. At the present time I have no clue as to the specific whereabouts of either of them.

I strongly suggest that you contact your client, the City of New London, CT and advise them that they are trying to obtain money from someone who owes them nothiong. Since motor vehicle tax information in CT is provided to the cities and towns by the Department of Motor Vehicles, that is apparently the source of the mis-information that resulted in your letter to me.

This is patently NOT MY PROBLEM. Any further correspondence attempting to extract money from me will be turned over to my attorney and Postal Inspectors, since I will consider it attempted froud through the mail.

Cordially, /s/

------------------------------------------------------
Today (19 Nov 2009) I received my "10 day letter". Tomorrow morning I will be taking his letters, and my initial response, to my Postmaster. To my
mind this is not only a violation of the FDCRA but is also attempted mail fraud and attempted fraud in interstate commerce. For thos whom he has contacted by telephone, I believe it also satisfies the definition of wire fraud.

Since, as has been previously noted, use of a collection agency clearly implies a "charge off", Mr Dodd can certainly feel free to, as we say in the Carolinas "Kiss my Grits". He might also need to consult a Proctologist to get his head extracted from where it's stuck.

Similar issue with National Recovery Group

I too received a letter from the National Recovery Group claiming I owe a debt from the mid 1990's to the City of New London. I have never registered a vehicle or lived in the City of New London. I replied to their letter with my own letter stating that they made a mistake because I never lived there or registered a vehicle there.

This seems to be some type of fraud, extortion plot or massive error by the city or by the department of motor vehicles. If this results in a class action law suit against the American National Recovery Group or the state of CT, I will be happy to cooperate and provide any evidence that I have.

Regards

Agreed, what can we do?

I have been sent 2 letters from Dodd. Both different amounts. I called and they said if I was active duty it was illegal for them to charge me. Well I was when I bought the car in Jan/95 then got out and married an active duty. They said the car had to be in the active members name to be exempt. I moved in CT from Groton to New London no change of address. I didn't even know I needed to change anything, I changed my address on my license. Then I moved from CT to MN in May 96. I guess the tax was due in July and they billed me in CT June. They said my responsibility to change address it is on registration. Look where it is - next to the sellers/new buyers info. How confusing. I think this is a state scam. I was never informed of property tax (suppose cuz I was exempt and the dealers know that) then I move before they bill me at an address I never changed personnally, and now nearly 15 years since I bought the car I get a bill for a tax I am responsible for that I never knew about. And when I ask what took so long to find me I have been at the same address for 12 years? they say my failure to change my address in 48 hours. Funny the military knew where I went, they had all my forwarding info. The state knows you are military. What an easy payment why so long - Because maybe it's illegal? The web page says you are exempt if you are a veteran with honorable discharge, if you file a form in specific time. They don't say what that is, nore do we have any of that info on the base. Way to many missing links, sounds like a set up for failure. So when does the statue of limitations go from date to date - 15 years? Wow I could commit a felony and after 7 years not have to go to prison. What is this 15 year thing. Completely frustrated.:mad::confused::(:eek:

Commenting on ,if it is at a collections agency its charged off-

So that means what? Whatever Dodd collects he keeps? So we are just keeping him in self employment?

Commenting on ,if it is at a collections agency its charged off-

So that means what? Whatever Dodd collects he keeps? So we are just keeping him in self employment?

Dodd gets a percentage of whatever he can collect.

If the debt hadn't been charged-off and was actually valid, the City would have pursued a wage garnishment.

City, State and Federal government don't use collection agencies to collect debts.

Simply ignore it.

Last edited:
Nat'l Recovery Grp Inc.

I can't believe how many people are being harassed by these people besides myself!
I also received a letter but for $500 and change. I did have a vehicle registered in my name in Wilton but it was for our business and later my partners & I gave this car to the partner.
Naive I was because I left the tags on the car so she could drive it away!!! Well this person never returned the plates and I went to the town of Wilton to denounce her! I could not get a hold of her either so that she could pay the taxes they said I owed. I gave them proof and never heard from them again. I later got a new car for myself in CT and never did these taxes owed show up.
And now YEARS (10) later I update my information with the credit bureau (i live in a different state) and I get this absurd bill! I was so furious that I sent out a payment just because I didn't want it affecting my credit and I didn't want to relive this.
Moreover, I just got laid off and wont make the remaining payments but I feel I got duped again in trying to do the right thing!
Has anybody been able to get resolve with this company???
Any info that may help is appreciated!

I can't believe how many people are being harassed by these people besides myself!
I also received a letter but for $500 and change. I did have a vehicle registered in my name in Wilton but it was for our business and later my partners & I gave this car to the partner.
Naive I was because I left the tags on the car so she could drive it away!!! Well this person never returned the plates and I went to the town of Wilton to denounce her! I could not get a hold of her either so that she could pay the taxes they said I owed. I gave them proof and never heard from them again. I later got a new car for myself in CT and never did these taxes owed show up.
And now YEARS (10) later I update my information with the credit bureau (i live in a different state) and I get this absurd bill! I was so furious that I sent out a payment just because I didn't want it affecting my credit and I didn't want to relive this.
Moreover, I just got laid off and wont make the remaining payments but I feel I got duped again in trying to do the right thing!
Has anybody been able to get resolve with this company???
Any info that may help is appreciated!

You just screwed yourself.
By making a partial payment you have acknowledged the debt as valid.
You have also reset the clock for credit reporting.
The difference now is that Nat'l Recovery Grp Inc. can and most likely will report you if you don't pay the balance.

What you should have done was simply ignore it or respond by disputing it in its entirety.

Live and learn.

Has anyone's credit actually been affected?

Many posters mention the collection agency sending them letters threatening to adversely affect their credit with agencies. Other posters mention that only the entity allegedly owed can negatively affect people's credit (meaning the towns, not the collection agency), and that those allegedly owed may do this only within 7 or 10 years of when the money was due (apparently a tighter statute of limitations than 15 years.) So the question is, has anyone out there ACTUALLY had their credit report negatively affected by this agency? It would apparently be against the law to do so. Please reply if this is the case. Because if no one has, then anyone whose due date is at least 7 years past can do nothing and wait until the 15 years passes?

I used to live in CT and received letters from American National and George Dodd. I went through all the effort of trying to get info from my new states dot and apparently i took too long to register it and Dodd said I owed the money. I called the town and they said yes he was correct and that all the money is due. I even wrote complaints with the BBB and the CT attorney generals office and they also agreed with the town and dodd. I told Dodd and the town to shove it and Hired an attorney. he read all the laws in CT and told me they are correct and try to setup a payment agreement with them because apparently they cant negotiate these either my attorney said. my lawyer now screwed me for 500 bucks for his friggin time. Now 6 months later i found out i have a lien against my house and other property from the town and that unless i pay them they will file suit. needless to say I have been check mated by the state and dodd. I sent the payment 2weeks ago and was notified all liens and judgments are dropped and I can enjoy Maryland and stay the hell out of Connecticut for the rest of my F***ing life. My advise pay them if you really owe it and don't get caught up in all the time and extra money i wasted on attorneys to read a law book and screw you for extra $$. for whats its worth they really weren't rude about it and offered to let me make payments but the interest would still roll on so i scrapped up the money and paid it off.

I too have received a letter from Mr. Dodd. It was for car taxes ($650) in 2000 from Bristol CT. I didn't even live there in 2000, 1999, or 1998! I moved to NC in 2000. I was told that I needed proof of where I lived in October of 1999. I had the proof, mailed it to them and then I get a letter back saying that it was not "approved documentation"! This is just ridiculous! My aunt is an attorney and her advice was to just ignore him. This is what I am planning on doing now. I can already see that any proof I send him he is just going to dismiss anyway.
I see these posts go back several years. Has anyone actually seen this show up on their credit report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back