National Recovery Group (George Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample Reply Ltr to American Nat'l Recovery Grp

Peter was a little nicer in his letter.
Here is MY Sample Letter for your use...
---------------------------------------

Frank Rizzo
E 161st St
Bronx, NY 10451
Re: Account #: XXX-XXXXS88677

George Dodd
Collection Coordinator
American National Recovery Group, INC.
144 Route 59 - Suite 4
Suffern, NY 10901

June 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Dodd,

I was astonished to receive your letter referencing account # XXX-XXXXS88677. I fully dispute the debt of $1,648.64 or any portion thereof. I did not live in the state of Connecticut at any time during 1994 or 1995. Therefore, I do NOT owe any taxes to the state of Connecticut.

This letter is proof of a response that I fully dispute your attempt to collect this debt. I trust that this invalid collection attempt will not be reported to any credit bureau in any form. Should I find differently, I will seek legal remedy against you, American National Recovery Group, and the state of Connecticut. I would like to see that this collection activity is taken care of in a quick efficient matter. Any further attempts to collect this invalid tax bill will be considered harassment.

Most sincerely,

Frank Rizzo

A "Not So Nice" sample letter to ANRG

George Dodd
Collection Coordinator
American National Recovery Group Inc
144 Route 59 - Suite 4
Suffern, NY 10901

Re: Account #: XXXX-XXXXX8867
Frank Rizzo
161st St
Bronx, NY 10451

June 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Dodd,

I was astonished to receive your letter referencing account # XXXX-XXXXX8867. I fully dispute the debt of $1,648.64 or any portion thereof. I did not live in the state of Connecticut at any time during 1994 or 1995. Therefore I do NOT owe any taxes to the state of Connecticut. This letter is proof of a response that I fully dispute your attempt to collect this debt.

I trust that this invalid collection attempt will not be reported to any credit bureau in any form. Should I find differently, I will seek legal remedy against you, American National Recovery Group, and the state of Connecticut. I would like to see that this collection activity is taken care of in a quick efficient matter. Any further attempts to collect this invalid tax bill will be considered harassment.

Most sincerely,

Frank Rizzo

same here ........

for my wife and me it was supposeltly $400.00 in back taxes and some $1,600.00 in interest after eight years! Never got any tax bill or notification.

Dodd keeps threatening to ruin our credit while never answering any demands for an account of the charges.

I contacted the CT AG Blumenthal who actually wrote back promptly. An 1860law allows for the fact that taxpayers do not have to be notified in any way for taxes due. There is a 15 year SoL in taxes. So there is nothing he can do.

I paid the Town of Greenwich in full to avoid credit problems and decided to unravel everything after. Even after I paid all claims I am still getting threatened by Dodd of $75.00 for ..... well I don't know what for, since they never gave me an account.

I contacted Greenwich directly and I just received a refund for my wife's taxes and interest (while Dodd is still threatening me!).

I will now unravel my account directly with Greenwich.

Only action that has any teeth is to contact the Westchester Dept. of Consumer Protection. They are VERY tough and will suspend business licenses. The more of us complain about Dodd the better.
Thank you

conpro@westchestergov.com

Westchester County DCP
148 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601

George Dodd

I was contacted by Dodd twice (the second being today with a threat to go to a credit agency) regarding a car tax owed to the town of Branford in July 2000. I move to the next town over in April of 2000 and have never received a bill until now--how convenient! The original tax of about $90.00 is now over $500.00. I was going to pay until I came across this site. It sounds as though there is nothing they can do.....is this true? I have excellent credit and would hate to jeopardize that.

Branford, CT Property Tax

I had owned a small business in Branford up until 1997. I have just received a letter from Nation recovery stating that I owe taxes for fixtures and furniture for 1998, 1999, and 2000. To make things worse, I didn't even own the furniture or fixtures... they were all owned by the company that I leased the space from. So I just wrote to tell them to go after the actual owners of the property. Maybe they'll catch up to them in another 10 years or so!

American Nat'l Recovery - another victim

Thanks so much for posting the sample letter - I've copied, pasted, edited and sent it via certified mail to our friend George Dodd. First letters arrived in March of this year, I sent proof that I not only did not live in Greenwich, CT in 1993 or 1994 but that my car was registered in the state of Massachusetts during that time. And yet the letters keep coming....

Maybe this one will finally stop them - thanks again.
DebB

I started receiving letter from this group about 18 months ago regarding car taxes from CT..I moved from CT in 1999. I corresponded with them,sent them documentation,etc,and got nothing except for threatening letters every 6 months or so. Finally,having spoken with the tax collectorm in Bethany Ct,I realized that legally I did owe the taxes. I sent them a check,which was cashed by the town on 6/8/08. Yesterday i received yet another letter,stating that I had failed to respond.
These people should all be arrested for harassment

I called them

I live in VA.

I called them and someone on the phone said that in the state of CT, the taxes i Owe them are for the 5 months i had the car. there is a number mentioned on the letter and it states i need to pay this tax and that when i buy the car and register it , i dont automatically pay taxes.

i asked them for a scanned copy of the tax receipt from the Personal Property Tax department and they said they will e-mail it to me.

so this looks like its a valid thing and not a scam. correct me if i am wrong.

thanks,

Sajeev

American National Recovery Group

I too have been receiving letters and phone calls from ANRG.

I disputed the tax bill with the town back in 1999, so I know that trying to win the fight now is a hopeless cause. I refuse to pay a dime; therefore, I am just ignoring them. I don't think they can do anything to you other than harrass you.

new milford

I was very surprised to get my letter today for some debt I owe to New Milford from Dodds? Then I found this site and was even more surprised to read ALL the other posts. I thought the letter was a scam??? The due date was July 1, 1995. I left New Milford in Nov. of 1994? I don't even live in America anymore. I'm thinking it has something to do with my 1992 car, I don't even owe anymore> I used to like New Milford.

I am so surpised after reading all your messages. I am glad that I am not the only one gone crazy about this Mr. Dodd. I'm just so confused and don't know where to start when I got the letter.

I received a letter too from Mr. Dodd. The letter dated in 28 June 2008.

Re: Client: ON REVERSE
Account #: XXX-XXXXXXXX0791
Amount Due: $374.48
Due date: 7/01/95

"Your account with the client referenced above has been placed with American National Recovery Group, Inc. for collection activity. They have done so because they believe it to be seriously past due.

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receipt of this letter that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify us in writing within 30 days after receipt of this notice that you dispute the debt or any thereof, we will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of the judgment, if any and mail same to you. If you request of this office in writing within 30 days of receiving this notice, this office will provide you with name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor. This is a communication from a professional debt collector. This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be for that purpose.

Do not send cash. If this debt is not disputed, and you are aware that payment is due, please make your check or money order payable to our client. Please note your account number and mail your payment to us in the enclosed envelope. Thank you."

Back of the letter:

Client: town of Groton Personal Property Due: 7/01/94 Amt: 204.69
My Name Acct # XXX-XXXXXXX9825
My Address DESCRIPTION: 1985 SUBAR
My City 91915 PLATE #: 100HXP
……………………………………………………………………………….
Client: town of Groton Personal Property Due: 7/01/95 Amt: 169.79
My Name Acct # XXX-XXXXXXX0791

I'm in the military for 17 years now and I was stationed in Groton CT, back in June 1992 to June 1993. I bought a vehicle and I was transferred to overseas (Guam). Registered and junked after the vehicle after few months in Guam. I returned to the U.S. and stationed in San Diego, CA. in 1996, and did not receive any notice from collectors. Bought a house in 1998 in San Diego, CA, with a good credit and still no notice from collectors. Now, after 14 years, this is what I get, a letter of indebtedness? All those years, I have no idea if I still have those documents, if any. I need someone's help, I am confused and don't know what to do.

MRZ.

I received a letter too from Mr. Dodd. The letter dated in 28 June 2008.

Re: Client: ON REVERSE
Account #: XXX-XXXXXXXX0791
Amount Due: $374.48
Due date: 7/01/95

"Your account with the client referenced above has been placed with American National Recovery Group, Inc. for collection activity. They have done so because they believe it to be seriously past due.

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receipt of this letter that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify us in writing within 30 days after receipt of this notice that you dispute the debt or any thereof, we will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of the judgment, if any and mail same to you. If you request of this office in writing within 30 days of receiving this notice, this office will provide you with name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor. This is a communication from a professional debt collector. This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be for that purpose.

Do not send cash. If this debt is not disputed, and you are aware that payment is due, please make your check or money order payable to our client. Please note your account number and mail your payment to us in the enclosed envelope. Thank you."

Back of the letter:

Client: town of Groton Personal Property Due: 7/01/94 Amt: 204.69
My Name Acct # XXX-XXXXXXX9825
Client: town of Groton Personal Property Due: 7/01/95 Amt: 169.79
My Name Acct # XXX-XXXXXXX0791

I'm in the military for 17 years now and I was stationed in Groton CT, back in June 1992 to June 1993. I owned a vehicle and transferred to overseas (Guam). Registered and junked after the vehicle after few months. I returned to U.S. and stationed in San Diego, CA. in 1996, and did not receive any notice from collectors. Bought a house in 1998 with a good credit and still no notice from collectors. Now, after 14 years, this is what I get, a letter of indebtedness? All those years, I have no idea if I still have those documents, if any. I need someone's help, I am confused and don't know what to do.

MRZ

I'm so glad I found this thread. When I received the letter from Dodd this morning, I freaked because I haven't lived in Branford in 13 years and received a bill from 1996! Thanks for the sample letter. I will just keep writing back and forth until the 15 years is up, I guess. I wish someone would expose this racket.

Last edited:
i asked for a copy of the bill....

i spoke to someone and he said he will send me a copy of the bill from the state of CT. i am still waiting for it. he said he will scan it and e-mail it.

what is funny about the whole thing is -

1. there is no e-mail address (though in this era every one has one)
2. there is no signature from Mr. Dodd on the letter
3. there is no fax number
4. they dont have a website

anyone here from VA ?

same here ........

for my wife and me it was supposedly $400.00 in back taxes and some $1,600.00 in interest after eight years! Never got any tax bill or notification.

Dodd keeps threatening to ruin our credit while never answering any demands for an account of the charges.

I contacted the CT AG Blumenthal who actually wrote back promptly. An Law allows for the fact that taxpayers do not have to be notified in any way for taxes due. There is a 15 year SoL in taxes. So there is nothing he can do.

I paid the Town of Greenwich in full to avoid credit problems and decided to unravel everything after. Even after I paid all claims I am still getting threatened by Dodd of $75.00 for ..... well I don't know what for, since they never gave me an account.

I contacted Greenwich directly and I just received a refund for my wife's taxes and interest (while Dodd is still threatening me!).

I will now unravel my account directly with Greenwich.

Only action that has any teeth is to contact the Westchester Dept. of Consumer Protection. They are VERY tough and will suspend business licenses. The more of us complain about Dodd the better.
Thank you

Westchester County DCP
148 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601

with regards to my earlier post I was wrong about which County they are in. They are in Rockland County - which is just a tough. Here is a Link to the Complaint Form
(www) co.rockland.ny.us/cpl/complaint.pdf

Letter to Mr. Dodd

I talked to my cousin about my issue about the letter from Mr. Dodd. My cousin is in Law School and he made me this sample letter to Mr. Dodd. I already sent this letter and hopefully it would help. I'll keep you all posted.

09 July 2008

MRZ
XXXX Shutter Court
XXXXXXXXXX, CA XXXXX

George Dodd
Collection Coordinator
American National Recovery Group, Inc.
144 Route 59 – Suite 4
Suffern, NY 10901

Dear Mr. Dodd,

I am writing in response to your letter received on 07 July 2008 not believe I owe the $374.48 amount stated.

This is the first notice I have received from American National Recovery Group (ANRG), or any other company regarding this matter for over 14 years. Thus, I have reasonable cause to believe that the information stated is inaccurate.

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) 15 U.S.C. §§1692g(a)(b), I respectfully request that you provide me with the following information:
(1) The amount of the debt [including the description and calculation of the stated amount];
(2) The name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
(3) Verification or copy of any judgment rendered [if applicable];
(4) Proof that you, acting as an agent for ANRG, are licensed to collect debts in XXXXXX, CA;
(5) And if you, as an agent of ANRG, are not the current creditor, then you will provide me with the name and address of the original creditor.

Furthermore, according to 15 U.S.C. §1681s-2, you are prohibited from reporting information to any credit-reporting agency with actual knowledge of errors. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit agency or credit bureau, then you must immediately inform them of my dispute with this debt. Notably, reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or failing to correctly report information, violates the FDCPA §1681s-2. Should you pursue a judgment without validating this debt, I will file suit and request this case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA.

Be advised that I am keeping very accurate records of all correspondence from you and ANRG. I will not hesitate to report violations of the law to the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, and my State Attorney General.

Sincerely,
MRZ

Enclosure: Copy of the 1st notice letter dated 28 June 2008.

Correction

I too have been receiving letters and phone calls from ANRG. QUOTE]

Correction: It turns out the phone calls were from a timeshare salesperson. I incorrectly assumed they were from these collection people.

Count us in!

My husband rec'd a letter from George Dodd last month saying he and his brother owed nearly $2000 combined for vehicle taxes owed. Neither he or his brother have lived in CT for several years. Also, might I add that since they are not the same person or drive the same vehicle, I do not see why they would be on the same bill. I spoke to Mr. Dodd and he separated the bills, but refused to show proof of debt, went on a tirade about how he doesn't agree with the CT State Law either but is just doing his job to collect the debts of over 200,000 people. He also noted that the bill when mailed would have looked like "junk mail" and that may be why my husband never paid it. My husband has lived in three states since his brief time in CT, and has never had a problem receiving forwarded mail. When I mentioned this to Mr. Dodd, he simply said that CT mails its documents the cheapest way possible (his words, not mine) and the Post Office is not required to forward the mail. So, now we are expected to pay interest on something from years ago that we never received in the first place? I requested proof of debt and a possible reduction, but Mr. Dodd laughed and then declined and told me to call Kathy Reynolds at 860-355-6085. He said she would confirm the debt, but when I called I was only forwarded to voicemail and haven't heard back yet. He agreed to offer a payment plan, but I just want to make sure this isn't a scam for money or more money than what we owe for that matter before sending a check. We pay our bills on-time and we do not want to owe money or be sent to collections. But when I searched the agency, I landed in this forum and it seems many people are having this same problem. This does not make me feel good about paying nearly $2000 to someone who will not verify the debt. Mr. Dodd got very angry on the phone with me, even though I was quite calm on the call. He said he is working with over 200,000 people to try to get CT it's money. My first question is why are we only learning about this now? My second is why will no one confirm this debt? My third is why would CT hire this agency to handle over 200,000 people, when obviously it is a one-man operation? If this is real, I feel sorry for Mr. Dodd. He sounded frazzled and angry when he answered the phone. And, not for nothing, but when I called the # on the bill, he answered directly. When I call most credit companies, at the minimum a receptionist will answer first. I got Mr. Dodd on the phone on the first ring and that made me even more suspicious.
I am hoping for advice on this matter. This sounds like a recipe for a class action law suit against the State of CT, but I too am concerned about this debt being sent to a credit agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back