my story - not a pretty one (advice pls)

N

niceguy1

Jurisdiction
California
I've lived here 10 yrs through two landlord/owners.The property I live on has two houses, main house and the guest house. I used to rent the main house when the current landlord came and SAID, not ask, but STATED FIRMLY that they're moving me to the guest house which is one-third the size. He said they need to get more money for the front house. I said okay but my things won't fit; he simply said we'll make it work. He gave me 30 days (VERBALLY no official legal notice. In 2 weeks he came back and he said I haven't made enough progress and he needs to start working on the house NOW. I showed him the progress I've made which I thought was good he said it's not enough. 2 days later he returned and said he had to work in there and my things are going to get damaged and he started physically carrying my things out of the house himself and to the backyard. When I resisted he became aggressive and actually threw some of MY things outside (have witnesses and pictures). Somehow I managed to dig deep and control myself, I knew that if I didn't it would get a lot worse for me. I was moved outdoors by him in one day. I scrambled to get things into the back house and it soon became apparent that much of my things were going to stay Outdoors. He promised to build me a shed. More than a year later I'm still waiting for that shed. He did come back and with some plywood and two-by-fours and build a makeshift canopy but it didn't work it leaked horribly, everything is ruined by rain dust, sun and bugs.
NEW - Right now they are preparing to sell the property they actually have a realtor because things at the front house didn't go well for them. I now have to move all of my things to storage to make outside presentable they demand. In doing so I realize the full impact of how much I have lost, all of the things outside I have found are completely damaged. Years of my hard work is going out in barrels for trash pickup. I have been seeing a doctor for depression my depression has hurt me incredibly it's affected relationships and my job. my financial situation has gone from great to horrible. I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I don't know if it's the meds or the depression but some days I can't even get out of bed. Dr says its from this landlord trauma specifically. Yet somehow I manage to pay my rent.
Now realizing the extent of my losses in the past week I am SO angry that I don't even want to pay rent another month I just want to sue these people for what they've done. I don't want to be nice anymore. no more niceguy. I've tried to find a lawyer but I can't afford consultation fees or retainer fees, I don't have that kind of money nor can I borrow it. I feel completely helpless and lost. I would love to get some advice on what I should do today and then what I should do tomorrow to protect myself (for sale sign is up). Are they going to get away with this? I would also like to know if there's a lawyer who will take my case without an upfront retainer. Tips on finding one.
Timing is critical it's the end of the month, I have to pay rent again and I don't want to. I don't know if a lawyer will say "no don't pay" or yes definitely do pay. I just need to know how to proceed in my best interest.. I will have to move it's inevitable but I won't have the means unless I save and hang onto what money I do have. I'm between a rock and a hard place. (no 3 day notice yet) Need help. Please

I've practiced law for decades. I know of no lawyer who'll take a case like yours on the come.

But, your solution is easy.

Why not ask your landlord if you can buy a shed for $300, $500, or $1,000 to house your stuff?

Suing your landlord will only get you booted.

If you believe your relationship is irreparably damaged, it might be time to negotiate your exit.

That way you can leave on good terms, and achieve happiness in anther home.

what type of lease agreement do you have in writing with the prior owner? Did it have an assignment clause for the current owner? Did you have a written lease agreement with the current owner?

Did you do anything to protect your belongins in the last year when you realized he wasnt' going to follow through?

I am sorry for your medical issues, but also feel that if those answers are NO, then you failed to protect yourself and will have a hard time with any lawsuit you try.

I've practiced law for decades. I know of no lawyer who'll take a case like yours on the come.

But, your solution is easy.

Why not ask your landlord if you can buy a shed for $300, $500, or $1,000 to house your stuff?

Suing your landlord will only get you booted.

If you believe your relationship is irreparably damaged, it might be time to negotiate your exit.

That way you can leave on good terms, and achieve happiness in anther home.
shed no longer needed

So let unlawful landlord practices go unchecked, accept my losses and move on?

what type of lease agreement do you have in writing with the prior owner? Did it have an assignment clause for the current owner? Did you have a written lease agreement with the current owner?

Did you do anything to protect your belongins in the last year when you realized he wasnt' going to follow through?

I am sorry for your medical issues, but also feel that if those answers are NO, then you failed to protect yourself and will have a hard time with any lawsuit you try.
month to month tenancy written agreement yes
checking on assignment clause(?)
wrote letter asking for promised shelter yes
numerous purchases of plastic/tarps yes

I tried being nice and forgiving but it took other people to show me how wrong this is and how badly it has affected me.

Im wondering if i have a civil case against my millionaire landlord for damages to self and property, pain and suffering and long term negative affects or at least recovering from this experience. Medically and financially.

Not big enough$ or strong enough (proof) to interest an attorney to waive retainer?

I think people who have never been through such cant fully understand the seriousness of long term stress. Im told Im having PTSD from this. I guess my brain or character is not as hardy as some other people :(

Last edited:
shed no longer needed

So let unlawful landlord practices go unchecked, accept my losses and move on?

I didn't say let it go.
You said you can't afford an attorney to take the matter to court.
That leaves you with small claims.
Even if you were to prevail in small claims, you'd likely never collect a dollar of your judgment.

There might be one inexpensive option still available to you.

You might inquire about "certificates of occupancy", as to whether your city requires same.
Your description of the unit you were relocated to might come afould of any such certificate of occupancy ordinances.

That is, if La Habra requires same, or something similar.
I suspect your unit is not in compliance, maybe both properties aren't in compliance.

Then you need to look into "rent control" and its applicability in your city.

You can discuss your ill advised relocation with local legal aid attorneys.
That, too, may have run afoul of laws.
However, a court might find your compliance as your assent.
Its still worth asking legal aid, or even a couple local attorneys.
Most attorneys will meet with prospective clients for 30 minutes or so to discuss basic aspects of an issue.
Its a good way to test the water as to what kind of case that troubles you.
The meeting is normally free of charge, but its wise to ask before you agree to an appointment.

Events and Workshops | La Habra, CA - Official Website

Affordable Housing | La Habra, CA - Official Website

See section 110, Cert. of Occupancy - Might be required at some point.
Building Inspections can provide specifics
If true, this may be useful in breaking your lease, maybe in getting some money refunded, IF APPLICABLE

http://lahabra.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&clip_id=91&meta_id=10697

Back