My storage is not under my name

Positive aspects

Jurisdiction
Florida
I put my storage under someone's names because I didn't have my I.d... Now he sais I owe him more money than I do n is not letting me retrieve my belongings what can I do?

I put my storage under someone's names because I didn't have my I.d... Now he sais I owe him more money than I do n is not letting me retrieve my belongings what can I do?

We have seen this question appear here a time or two.

Legally he has you where you don't want to be touched.

The simplest way is to go to the storage unit and take your stuff out.
Then move the stuff to YOUR own unit.

In order to be allowed to do that, you might have to offer him a financial incentive, if you can't get into the unit with him or his permission.

I put my storage under someone's names because I didn't have my I.d...

I'm having an awfully hard time imagining circumstances under which this would make sense, but ok.

Now he sais I owe him more money than I do

Owe him money for what?

n is not letting me retrieve my belongings

So...not only did you arrange for this other person to rent a storage unit for your property, you also arranged things so that he could prevent you from accessing the unit?

what can I do?

I'm sure you "can do" lots of things. Obviously, you can pay this person whatever he's demanding (assuming you have the money), retrieve your property, and put it somewhere you can get to it yourself. Or you can sue him.

I'm having an awfully hard time imagining circumstances under which this would make sense, but ok.

Owe him money for what?

So...not only did you arrange for this other person to rent a storage unit for your property, you also arranged things so that he could prevent you from accessing the unit?

I'm sure you "can do" lots of things. Obviously, you can pay this person whatever he's demanding (assuming you have the money), retrieve your property, and put it somewhere you can get to it yourself. Or you can sue him.
When we got the unit I was on file to be able to access it whenever I wanted but he changed. And it's my moms boyfriend, he loan me some money but Iv paid him back... It was for the storage the rental truck, my pawnshop. I came from Denver in May and my mom insisted on me staying At her house till I got in my feet... So I started working in August and Iv paid him the 1000 I owe him, plus $750 rent and $1300 for .... To contribute since Iv been here n they fed me n stuff but now he wants another 1500 and as of tomorrow another750 rent!! what?! 1500 for what?! that's what I wanna kno!

Last edited:
We have seen this question appear here a time or two.

Legally he has you where you don't want to be touched.

The simplest way is to go to the storage unit and take your stuff out.
Then move the stuff to YOUR own unit.

In order to be allowed to do that, you might have to offer him a financial incentive, if you can't get into the unit with him or his permission.
That would be the simplist way, it's not gonna be that easy tho.. He has locked me out of the storage and what he's asking is for me to give him 1500 in addition to the 3000 Iv given him this month and as of tomorrow 750 or to move out.... Which is what I want to do but How can I, I came here to get on my feet n ended up paying for his bills is what if feels like

Owe him money for what?

Is he legally allowed to keep my stuff like that? how would I go about suing him?

but now he wants another 1500 and as of tomorrow another750 rent!! what?! 1500 for what?! that's what I wanna kno!

Ummm...you're obviously not going to get questions like this answered on the internet.

Is he legally allowed to keep my stuff like that?

Nothing you've told us suggests he is.

how would I go about suing him?

You prepare and file a complaint with the appropriate court. I suggest googling something like "florida small claims court" (and maybe add in the name of your county).

Are you able to gain access to the storage unit at all, or are you not able to enter the property?
What have the people at the storage facility told you about gaining access?

Is he legally allowed to keep my stuff like that? how would I go about suing him?

If its in HIS name, its his stuff.

As I said earlier, he's got you by the naughty parts, and he's touching you where you don't want him to be touching.

As previously suggested, you could file a small claims court lawsuit.

However, that'll really get the old pitbull angered.

You do that, and he's likely to sell your stuff, or cross-claim against you for back rent and loans!!!

Yeah, he's got you, and he's doing very naughty thinsg to you!!!!

Back