my step-son wants to change his last name

Status
Not open for further replies.

frftr14

My step-son wants me to adopt him so he can legally have my last name. His parents currently have joint custody but his father has told both he and his brother that he wants nothing to do with them (we have a text to this effect). Without adoption, are we able to request this change? His brother will be 18 next month and has already stated he will change his name. My youngest step-son is only 14. Will Oklahoma allow him to take my name without revoking father's rights? Father is also 1 yr behind on chld support and we are wondering if we could get him to allow the change and agree to adoption if the child support was waived. My wife has been diagnosed with Lupus and she is afraid of revisiting custody as she has disabilities that may be used against her. note: the divorce was in Arizona.

Mom needs to either get permission from Dad - despite his lack of interest he will need to be notified - or permission from the court.

it might happen

My step-son wants me to adopt him so he can legally have my last name. His parents currently have joint custody but his father has told both he and his brother that he wants nothing to do with them (we have a text to this effect). Without adoption, are we able to request this change? His brother will be 18 next month and has already stated he will change his name. My youngest step-son is only 14. Will Oklahoma allow him to take my name without revoking father's rights? Father is also 1 yr behind on chld support and we are wondering if we could get him to allow the change and agree to adoption if the child support was waived. My wife has been diagnosed with Lupus and she is afraid of revisiting custody as she has disabilities that may be used against her. note: the divorce was in Arizona.

mom will have to prove its in her sons best interest to change his name to a legal stranger's( and that what you are)

mom will have to prove its in her sons best interest to change his name to a legal stranger's( and that what you are)

The phrase "One-Trick Pony" comes to mind.

OP,
To address the other question in your thread, your wife can certainly forgive the arrears in exchange for termination of the father's rights so that you can adopt, as long as she is not receiving state aid. The father will have to agree to it, of course.

There are lots of legal questions here.... I hope you can get good advice before you go forward with the adoption so that so to speak ' no stone is left unturned ' and then you can rest easy and go ahead! (if u have not already done that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back