My sons father took and spent his inheritance what legal action can I take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloner

I let my son (14) go live with his father for three years, he had him work all summer last year under the table for $5 per hour and never paid him, saying that its an IOU then I found out that his father took the inheritance that my mother left him ($2,000) and instead of putting it in a minors account to earn interest his father spent it saying it was an IOU. What legal action can I take to make him pay him the money that he stole from him? My son is 17 now.

You may be able to sue him on behalf of your son in a civil law suit. They have limited amounts in civil court cases but you need to have proof that he took monies that belonged to your son. Do you have in writing it is an "IOU" ? Do you have proof your son worked, how many hours and for whom? Otherwise you may not be able to do anything. If your son worked for the father in a formal business he owned, there may be some sort of investigation you may initiate with the IRS. You have to decide what you want the final outcome to be because getting the IRS involved could have negative ramifications for your son as well. Some lawyers have free consultations and you may want to contact one about your case, but you probably would end up spending more money than your son would gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back