My Son - Runaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadisw

I have an interesting situation. My son is 17, his gf is 18 and has her own place. He stays with her overnight, which I do not like. I have checked his attendance records and he is still going to school. He comes home every couple of days to check in. Is there anything I can do to make him stay at home? Could I report that he ran away?

Well cant get them on age of consent however like I said your word is law. If you say come home then he comes home. If he fails to listen start taking things away car, phone, etc etc

Well, the problem is that he also works and pays for his cell phone and with her job they pay for pretty much everything themselves. If I called the police would they do anything?

here is a web site that may help -

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=26.28

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=13

Look around this web site you may find something, my understanding is that if a child under age 18 leaves home without parental consent then that child is considered a runaway and the police "may" return the child home.

You may be able to call the state police in Washington and see if they can help? Also look for organizations that advocate for youths because these agencies are attempting to keep children safe and want kids to be at home if that is a safe place.

I live in NY and am going through the same thing. I am finding that the police are not experts on the law. If you find a law that will allow them to bring him home even if it's at their discreation then make yourself a pest until they bring him home. I had to go to the chief of police who went to the DA and a Judge before they would enforce the law and even then they made it clear that they felt my 17 year old was an adult and I should leave him alone and let him do what he wants. I really feel for you but keep looking for the law that will allow them to bring him home. My son is home every night now even if he doesn't want to be. I am still fighting my battle here in NY so if I find anything that will help you I will send it your way. Good Luck -

Thanks! I'll start browsing through all of that. How long did it take you to get results from the police?

I was able to get results within hours after I provided the chief of police with a copy of the law. I had to become a pest, I was respectful but I made it clear that if they did not enforce this law then I would continue to go to a higher authority. My son was only gone one full night but it was like a lifetime not knowing if he was safe or not. I continue to have problems with the DA's office, the police and the Judge about the issue of my son being an "adult" and able to make his own choices. At least until he turns 18 he will be sleeping at home every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back