My son is trying to get his personal property out of his stepmother's locked garage.

K

kmlejnek

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My question is my son was evicted from he stepmother's home, which he has no problem leaving. But she has locked his belongings in her garage. Which he has receipts for. What dose he need to do legally to obtain his property.

My question is my son was evicted from he stepmother's home, which he has no problem leaving. But she has locked his belongings in her garage. Which he has receipts for. What dose he need to do legally to obtain his property.

He can start with the easiest option.
Call the local police or sheriff and ask for a civil standby to get his belongings.
In most communities the law enforcement agency will send an officer for 10-15 minutes to allow the person to retrieve MOST of her/his belongings.

The officer or deputy won't help you get your stuff, and won't allow you to take stuff it if will be a four or five hour job.

You get 10 to 15 minutes, some communities offer a little more time.

The officer won't help carry your junk, but will standby to make sure no one misbehaves.

The homeowner or a responsible adult must be available when the officer arrives to allow the person onto the property.

That's the easiest way, the quickest way, so suggest he tries that first.

Same IP address as Tinkerbell.

Please don't waste our time disguising yourself as two different people.

Back