1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

My Psycho Boyfriend

Discussion in 'Protective & Restraining Orders' started by Anna533866, Feb 28, 2018.

  1. Anna533866

    Anna533866 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about 8 months. At times he has a Jekyll and Hyde personality and he goes crazy over little things and gets very violent. He lives with me I was wondering if I get a temporary protection order against him how will that work if we live at the same residence? The house is owned by my parents they pay for me to live here and they pay all the bills. When the officer comes to serve the protective order will they make sure he leaves then? I am scared of him and I don't want to have to face him alone after he knows I have taken this order out against him.
  2. zddoodah

    zddoodah Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Not really sure what you're asking, but the answer obviously depends on the terms of the order you obtain. I assume it goes without saying that it might require him to move out -- either temporarily or permanently.

    Why not talk to your parents about evicting this a-hole?

    You'd have to ask your local police or sheriff.

    Probably a good idea, so you may want to get a room at a hotel for a few days.
  3. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If you’re a victim or potential victim, you must apply to a judge for a restraining order.

    In a domestic violence situation in the state of Georgia, a judge MAY choose to issue a temporary restraining order immediately upon request, then later a hearing will be held to determine whether to make the restraining order permanent.

    If you’re looking to get the application process started, visit this GA state court website

    Filing A Protective Order | Protective Order Forms | Stalking Protection Order | GSCCCA

    where you can find the most current forms in an editable & printable PDF format.

    After the hearing, when your restraining order is in effect, all Georgia police (sworn law enforcement personnel) are directed by statute to arrest the defendant, for violating the order.

    Violating a restraining order is considered a crime in Georgia (as in contempt of court).

    In Georgia, a civil restraining order is also known as a "Family Violence Protection Order."

    Restraining orders offer you legal protection from domestic violence, harassment, depletion of assets or trademark infringement.

    The order prohibits the offender from having contact with you for a specified period of time.

    If the offender violates the restraining order, it’s a crime and he or she could be jailed and charged with more than one crime.

    If you file the order today, the violent abuser COULD be served & ordered out today by local police or sheriff.

    More information:


  4. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    The fact you title the post as "my psycho boyfriend" should be a sign that you should stop being in a relationship with him.

    Why would you only go for a temporary order of protection? Most protection orders will state if the other person has to leave or not. If the order states that he his to leave the residence and he's there, yes the police can make him leave.

    I would go stay somewhere else until he is out of the residence. Why didn't you ask your parents to evict him if they own the place?

    Usually a temporary order only lasts a couple weeks and you get a court date to go to and get a permanent order - usually that lasts a year. Both of you show up to that. He gets a chance to rebut it. You can bring any evidence that supports your claim to have the order.
  5. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    So this guy is violent and a unstable and you have only been together a few months but you let him move in with you? I don't say this to be snarky, but you seen to get some serious counseling. Seek an order or protection and he will have to move out. He can't live with you and stay away from you at the same time. I would strongly suggest you talk to a domestic violence counselor. They can help you put together a safety plan as Mr. Hyde is unlikely to react positively to giving him the boot. Start here - GCADV.org or here GeorgiaLegalAid.org | A guide to free and low-cost legal aid, assistance and services in Georgia or Shelters/Programs - Family Violence in Georgia

Share This Page