my old boss has never sent me my last check

brittany1989

Is it legal in the state of Maryland for my old boss to withhold my last paycheck all because I have not yet turned in a back ground check. However, I put in my two weeks notice for which I am owed for working those final two weeks I still have copies of my time sheets that were signed by the client stating I did work those hour. I have tried to reach out to my previous boss several of times about this issue and no check and response. I did fax in with my time sheets a letter stating that even though I've decided to leave I will still turn in the background check when I can. I have 3 kids that I have to take care of pay rent and etc... However my boss did not want to hear why I can't afford to have one done right away. I left my job back in February it is now April and I do not know how I should go about this situation. I first started working for him in August 2012 and put my two week notice in on February 2015. When I first was hired I was aware I needed to have a background check done and that if I had one done with in that past yr that wasn't more than a year old I could get a copy and give that one to them. However, I did have one done that was not more than a year old but my school had that background check in their file, the school that helped me get the job in the first place. I did call my school and I asked them to please fax my new boss at the time the background check they said OK. So now 2yrs later I am being punished for never turning in the back ground check even though when I was first hired I thought my school faxed it to my boss. When I did work for this job I was a home health aide and I started out as his assistant with more hrs and he decided to keep cutting my hrs I never wanted to transfer from being in the office to working as an aide and he finally cut my hours down to 10 a week and my hourly wage was $12 an hour this happened after I had my third child. This is also when the problem began about me never turning the back ground check even though I thought my old school faxed it over all along so I never knew they didn't receive it back in 2012. I've tried to explain this several of times to the employer and tried to tell him it was hard for me to pay to have one done because I have been struggling just making end meat to get by and he cursed me out and hung up. He also withheld $50 from one of my checks I believe back in December 2014 because I still haven't turned it in and he told me I would get it back once I got that doneand hung up on me. but as of right now I can't afford to. Some one please try and help me out with this delema. I've tried to have several conversation with via phone and they never went well he would yell curse me hang up and would never give me a chance to even respond. So I decided to just fax letters to him when my timesheetd were due along with a good phone number I could be reached but never Any responses. I to still want to have one done for him but as of right now with my current situation I just can't afford too.

You're welcome. :) ...............

Great - glad I could be of help. Good luck.

In only one state & it's not your state can an employer hold your final check & that is until all company equipment is returned.

Back