My neighbors are video tapping my family and guests!!!

Lostmyself

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I been having problems with my neighbors, I live in a duplex home, one day my friend and I were standing in my drive way, and the neighbor next door started video taping him out of no where! And then he approached her and asked her why she's video taping him and that he doesn't know her, and a fight started happening and they called the cops! Before this happens, I had an argument about their kids playing soccer outside ( about 10 year olds) and hitting my window with the ball by accident and making loud noises! At that same day I've done bladder tumor remover! Once they hit the window I woke up out of my sleep and got out and told them that to stop playing because I just had surgery and I am in pain( I was kind of mad) and then one of the kids told me what your going to do about it and all that stuff! Anyways,they told the police that I scare their kids and I won't let them play soccer, the police told us to ignore them, after a few days, my daughter and her friend were sitting in my drive way and one of their kids started recording them with their ipad and then my daughter approached the kid and told him to get his mouther so she could talk to her about why they're recording us again!!!
Anyways, the next day I went to court and I put a small claim and we have a court date in a few weeks, in court they're going to defend themselves by saying that I scare their kids and threaten them ( which I never did) my question is, can their kids be witnesses in court or no?

Children can be witnesses in a court proceeding IF the presiding judge allows it.
The judge will determine if particular children testify by assessing the child's maturity, truthfulness, and ability to distinguish right from wrong.

You'd better be prepared with some actual financial damages that they have caused you or the case is going to get tossed out of court.

Most forms of rude behavior are not going to be actionable on their own. I don't see that you have a valid Small Claims court action here. Have you even looked up information on suing in Small Claims court?

Having inconsiderate neighbors is not generally a court matter. It can be annoying, it can be uncomfortable, and it can even be downright unlivable, but not generally actionable in a civil or criminal court.

Perhaps consider a small fence around your front yard so the kids and their stuff can't get into it as easy.

Noise during the daytime is hardly going to be considered unreasonable. If the noise of children playing in a place they have a right to (yeah, that can be the street) maybe you can consider investing in a TV, a radio, or a white noise machine to play soothing sounds to mask the noise in the street. I work nights and many years ago, the 12 houses on my street had more than 22 kids between them! When you added their friends in the surrounding blocks, our street was a veritable block party on weekend days and during the summer! I adapted to the noise through other means rather than being "that guy" and stomping outside to yell that they were inconsiderate and rude. It may suck, but, if they are outside where they have a lawful right to be, and they are making noise in a manner and time of day that most of us would consider reasonable, then you are just out of luck. Sorry.

Sometimes it's best to just ignore problems with neighbors if at all possible.

Back