Other Criminal Charges & Offenses My lawyer screwed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

DividedWeFall

Not literally, but he may as well have. I had never been arrested this lawyer calls saying I'm facing four years in prison, I'm in shock and sign a $8500 contract. He only spent four hours on my case. He didn't show up to the first hearing, can I use this against him for not keeping to his end of the contract so I can get out of it?

Not literally, but he may as well have. I had never been arrested this lawyer calls saying I'm facing four years in prison, I'm in shock and sign a $8500 contract. He only spent four hours on my case. He didn't show up to the first hearing, can I use this against him for not keeping to his end of the contract so I can get out of it?

You might want to investigate if dude was a real CA licensed lawyer.
What you've described is a rather old scam.

You can fie a complaint with the CA Bar Association, if its real, I sure would.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/ComplaintForm.aspx

No!! He is one of Fresno's top Criminal Defenders. He was so nice and acted like he was on my side. What I really need to know is if I can get out of the contract because he did not show up to one of the hearings, basically not completing his side of the contract.

The answer is in your contract. What service was provided? Were you somehow harmed by the no-show? Was the hearing rescheduled? Is the case still pending? Have you contacted the attorney about it?

Yes the hearing was rescheduled and he showed up that time, I wasn't harmed legally by the first no-show, just looking for a way out of this ridiculous contract. I just feel there should be something that protects first time idiots like me against being railroaded by lawyers. Apparently there isn't.

Yes the hearing was rescheduled and he showed up that time, I wasn't harmed legally by the first no-show, just looking for a way out of this ridiculous contract. I just feel there should be something that protects first time idiots like me against being railroaded by lawyers. Apparently there isn't.

There is a protection.
I never sign any contract without thinking about it for 24 hours minimum.
If the other party won't permit you time to deliberate a decision, that's an indicator of it being a bad deal for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back