My husband wants to adopt my 2 daughters, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisdomseeker

I am a mother of two young girls ages 4 and 6. My husband and I have been married a year this August. He would like to adopt both of them and give him our last name. Both girls introduce themselves with his last name anyway but we feel it should be legal considering both biological fathers want nothing to do with them. My six year olds bio has litteraly fallen off the radar, not even his own family knows were he is. During our divorce there were issues of violence, stalking, drugs and alcohal on his part and he has not paid the court ordered child support in years. My youngest daughters bio lives in Ca. and I live in Wa. There is no custody papers about her at all and has been no support from him either. Neither one has spoken to them in two and half and five+ years.
My question is how do I legally handle this situation with out knowing where the biological fathers are, all I do know is they have moved out of state and their own relatives do not know their whereabouts. Will I have much of a chance if the father of my youngest protests? And what will happen if my ex-husband is never found? And is there going to be court apointed adoption fees?
I would appreciate a quick reply please and thank you.
P.S. How can I find a good attorney that will not kill me financially?

Your going to need an Attorney as this will not be as simple as you like. You will most likely be asked to make reasonable attempts to contact the Father's. How this is done an Attorney will explain. If either Bio Dad refuses to sign TPR then it isnt going to happen. You find an Attorney by openning the yellow pages and making calls.

you'll have to call attorneys to see what their rates are. If the adoption is not contested by either father then it will be easier. You are going to have to make an attempt to locate the. An attorney will probably advise a public notice in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back