My husband has told me to get out of his house; we married 9/02/11.

Depressed1

My husband has told me that he wanted me to get out of his house.... He's told me that several times in the past; (he has been physically, emotionally, & verbally abusive) but as of now, its more verbal.) but upon me trying to leave he'd say that he was angry at the time & he didn't mean it & there's times when I actually left the home, he would call & beg for me to come back. This time I really think that he wants me out, however; financially I can't do it at this time. I gave up everything when I married him, & then though fought of my own gained more debt.. He's refinanced this house since we've been married & I signed a waiver saying that I had no interest in this home about a year ago. He told me that he'll sell this house to get me out. What are my options? I really don't what to do & I'm tired & depressed.

He can order you to leave, he can't make you leave.
You can voluntarily leave.

Only a judge can cause you to be evicted.

However, your spouse can't evict you from YOUR marital home because you are not a guest or a tenant.
As his spouse you have a right to reside in YOUR mutually shared marital home, unless and until a court awards your spouse exclusive use and possession of the home. This is generally done pursuant to a divorce action.
If your spouse hasn't filed for divorce, that's off the table.
A spouse can be ORDERED out of THE marital home in cases of domestic violence when a protective order has been granted.

You can go to court and TRY to seek an order of protection because of his prior domestic violence actions against you.

Bottom line, you can speak to a couple divorce lawyers in your area.
You might be able to retain one and have your louse of a husband p[ay for it.
The lawyers will know if that's possible.

What I've told you can work for the next few months, maybe, unless he files for divorce first.
Looks as if you've signed away your interests in the home, but when you talk to those lawyers you can ask if that is legit or can be undone.

Time is running out, so you might want to act on this on Monday, and see what you can learn.

This answer is given in accordance with the laws of Virginia and may not be applicable in any other state. It should not be construed as legal advice, as that would require a more thorough analysis of all of the facts involved in a specific case. If you need further information or assistance, please feel free to contact a lawyer of your choosing.

But, you and the creep are legally married, as in wife and husband.

Last edited:
Back