My Girlfriend and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishiku

I am 19 (Feb 13th 1988) and my girlfriend is 16 (Jan 20th 1991). We have been together for a year (Aug 19). Is there any way she can choose to live with me, besides being emancipated that her parents couldn't interfere with? Her parents don't treat her right and she is starting to mentally wear down from it and I want to get her out of their grasp. I have a good steady job making about $35,000.00 a year before taxes.

Please don't flame this about our age difference.

Thank you for any help and support you can provide.

What state are you in?

Emancipation laws are very state dependent.

The bottom line is that unless she is declared emancipated or has reached the age of majority for your state (and I can't think of any state that has that happen at 16, but there might be one), you face a potential litany of criminal offenses if you encourage her to run away or leave her parents' control and move in with you.

This idea has "prison" written all over it.

- Carl

We Live in florida and I am not really telling her to leave shes asking me if there is anyway she can move out and come stay with me because she doesnt want to leave the school shes at, and most of her family lives out of the area.

I am 19 (Feb 13th 1988) and my girlfriend is 16 (Jan 20th 1991). We have been together for a year (Aug 19). Is there any way she can choose to live with me, besides being emancipated that her parents couldn't interfere with? Her parents don't treat her right and she is starting to mentally wear down from it and I want to get her out of their grasp. I have a good steady job making about $35,000.00 a year before taxes.

Please don't flame this about our age difference.

Thank you for any help and support you can provide.

Nothing in your post shows grounds for emancipation.

However, if she got a full-time job and supported herself 100%, then that would be de facto emancipation.

So tell her to get a job....

AS long as she is a minor, her parents have control. Not you. Emancipation is not easy....there is criteria that needs to be followed. You might want to google the emancipation laws in your state but you may not have any choice but to backoff until she is 18. You could be facing criminal liability if you interfere to much. If i were her parents I would not want her living with a boy either. She is a child and just because her parents are against this relationship does not mean they are not treating her right. You need to be very careful here.

I know the laws of emancipation that is why I said besides that. Its not that her parents don't want her to be living with me so much that, its that we have to hide the relationship from them. Oy here goes the long story.

We went to high school together and we became friends, I had my drivers' license (and a car) and so I didn't mind giving people rides. She is in CAP (civil Air Patrol) and had a meeting her dad wouldn't take her for any reason except that he just didn't want to (honestly he said I don't feel like it) so she asked me if I would take her, I said as long as your parents say its alright (we weren't thinking about dating at the time) so she goes and says can a friend take me. He busts out with whose this how old is he and all the stuff she tells him I'm 18 and I can drive he yells I'm not letting some pedophile drive my daughter anywhere. He's like maybe if I knew this boy maybe, So being very pissed but reasonable, I tell her to tell him, ok how about I take you your wife and 3 kids out for breakfast, my treat. He says it's to late for that. Few months ago he starts trying to get her to date several teenage boys my age, he also makes a few not so fatherly comments (I bought her a phone with service and I pay the bill so we can talk without them knowing). She was talking to me and hides the phone under the covers on her stomach cause she heard him coming into her room, then he looks at her walks out she starts talking and she hides it again and he looks at her and says I am about to jump in there with you (thinking she is masturbating). THIS IS HER "STEPFATHER" (her mom and him arn't married yet) and I am in the wrong?

When I say not treating her right, I don't mean oh your grounded for failing a class I mean her mom pulls her hair because she tells her she is feeling dizzy and cant really set the table at that moment. Her parents are abusive and emotionally destructive. I would call DCS but she would probably be moved to Jacksonville (like 6 hours north of me) and I would never get to see her. We are trying to find and alternative way to fix this situation.

To SeniorJudge
She has a job, but she's still trying to focus on school (her parents limit how much she works by grounding her all the time). Its also illegal for a minor to work of i think tis 35 hours a week. She can't really work as much as she wants without their permission. They keep threatening to kick her out then call the cops and say she's a runaway (I am sure that's illegal). Not to mention all the above stuff. I mean she wanted to take advanced classes over the summer for school but they wont let her saying that her brother (9yrs old I think) needs a baby sitter. (She has cousins/aunt that lives across the street)

Last edited:
There are no alternative ways to fix this situation. If her stepfather lays a hand on her or if she is being physically abused, then she needs to call CPS or Social Services but the end result will NOT be, sending her to your house to live.

Again, you have no business taking control of her life. If she is being abused social services may send her to live with family. You have NO RIGHT to move in on her or think she is going to live with you, as long as her parents object.

You seem dead set on doing what you want regardless, so I have no idea what more advice you want us to give you. She is legally a child, a minor, her parents, mother whoever, has control.

Are you reading what I am writing, I SAID IT IS HER IDEA TO MOVE IN WITH ME. I am just trying to see what our option are. Stop trying to make this seem like I am forcing her to do something. She is asking me to talk to lawyers and people for Ideas.

Are you reading what I am writing, I SAID IT IS HER IDEA TO MOVE IN WITH ME. I am just trying to see what our option are. Stop trying to make this seem like I am forcing her to do something. She is asking me to talk to lawyers and people for Ideas.

Tell her that she has to stay where she is.

If she cannot work full-time and support herself 100%, then she cannot be emancipated.

It does not matter whose idea it is, if she takes steps to move in with you - and you allow it - then you face several potential criminal charges as well as the possibility of becoming a registered sex offender (if she comes to stay with you, I doubt it will be a platonic relationship).

What everyone is trying to tell you is that you have no legal stick in this fire. You have no legal grounds to ask for her to live with you, and she has no legal right or ability to make that decision!

- Carl

In Florida the ONLY way she can be emancipated is if HER PARENTS file the petition.

If they will not do so, then she cannot be emancipated.

If she is not legally emancipated and does not have her parents consent, she cannot live with you or anyone else. She lives where they say she does until she is 18.

If she is being physically abused, she can call CPS.

That is the limit of her legal options. Period.

In Florida the ONLY way she can be emancipated is if HER PARENTS file the petition.

If they will not do so, then she cannot be emancipated.

If she is not legally emancipated and does not have her parents consent, she cannot live with you or anyone else. She lives where they say she does until she is 18.

If she is being physically abused, she can call CPS.

That is the limit of her legal options. Period.

Thank you thats all I needed to know.

no

she cannot move without her parents permission. and she will not be emancipated so she can live with her adult bf. period end of story. she stays where she is, newither of you have a choice. and if you push the issue of trying to get her out of her house, her parents can cause you a lot of problems. leave it alone. what she wants isnt going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back