My fault, but what are the consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcm767

:cool: Was married for 8 years with no kids. Our divorce was final in Jan '08.
[She won a $500,000 lawsuit against insurance company in 2001.]
In our decree I agreed to give her - my half-interest in our home. I also agreed to pay her alimony of $400.00 for three years! I also had an attorney that was 'just too busy".

She lives in Georgia and I now reside in California. I am thinking of stopping alimony payments and putting them in a savings account - 'just in case'.
I know this would put me in contemp of court if she filed.
Because I live in California and job and address are unknown to her, how difficult would be to enforce?

What what could be the consequences of my actions if I decided halt payments?? I don't want to sound like cretin, but I can say unequivocally, I got the very short end of the stick. But I agreed ....... Thanks for any input or suggestions you might have.

You really did get the short end of the stick! However, if you stop making payments, you can still be found. Do you have a driver's license? Credit card? Bank account? If she wants to find you badly enough, she can.

Thanks.... I can make it diffucult and hard to find,. but eventually as you said, with records etc I can be located.
I think maybe a 1:1 phone call with her might be the way to go. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back