My father took out a loan in my name.

bue42

When I was a child I was legally adopted by my mother's second husband. We never had a good relationship, and when they divorced I saw him only in passing. Fast forward: I graduated from college a year ago, and decided to do a credit check today. My credit check revealed that in addition to my student loans, I had a home loan taken out in my name in 2010. In 2010 I was 17, and my parents had been divorced for almost 6 years by that time. I had absolutely no idea that tis loan existed until today.

My mom confronted him about this, and he is avoiding the subject. If he has done this, what steps to I need to take to remove my name from this loan? What are my rights? I have little to no relationship to this man, and I am worried he will do or has done the same to his other children.

You can file a dispute with the credit bureaus.
Then, you can file a report with the police in the area where the crook committed the crime.

What the old buzzard did is called identity theft. It's a crime.

There may also be a need to report identity theft to the federal government.

The FTC Identity Theft page is a great resource. (Federal Trade Commission - Identity Theft FAQ)

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is probably the place you should check regarding credit report issues. It has a tremendous amount of information and instructions on what to do. It also includes links to the credit reporting bureaus.

You can also see the Transunion Identity Theft page.

Back