My father passed away 2 days ago, Mom already getting calls for his medical bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdOPrey5

I have been googling all morning to find out of New York is a state where she (the surviving spouse) is responsible for my father's medical bills. This all was in New York City. Dad's bills were in his name alone and she did not sign anything.

I have read that in MOST States the spouse is still responsible for medical bills. However I have mixed answers on whether New York is one of those States.

Can someone confirm for me if a wife is responsible for her dead husband's medical bills? There was no estate- Neither parent has any money, they were on food stamps with a minimal bank account, Dad was disabled for years and Mom had been unemployed over 2 years, her benefits ran out earlier this year.

Also while I am at it the electric bill was in Dad's name only. She will need to have it put in her name now, is she responsible for the final payment under his name? I'm not trying to "screw" anyone over here but money is that tight and even the cheapest direct cremation option costs over $1400 and will be paid on a credit card because there just is no money. I am also disabled and unable to help otherwise I would- when I was healthy and working I had no problem paying mom and dad's bills but I was stuck down several years ago and had been living off my savings which has run out itself.

Thanks for any answers you may have.

Sorry to hear of your father's recent passing.

No, your mother is not legally responsible for any medical bills incurred by your dad.

I suggest you change mom's phone number and do not list it and ask it to be non-published.

If any other bills were in dad's name, mother is not legally responsible for them.

She would be wise not to spek to any debt collectors or respond to their written demands.

Mom would also be wise not to explain dad's death.

you are not legally responsible to pay dad's debts, either.

You need not explain why you can't or won't pay.

You're not legally obligated to pay your neighbor's bills, either.

So, don't be embarrassed or explain.

It is no one's business.

You owe no one an explanation.

Just grieve in peace, and get mom's number changed.

Those unscrupulous scum collectors will hound you and her relentlessly, if you don't!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back