My employer says I quit but I didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

weathered

Last month I lost my job. I had been called into the office and told it was my last day and that they needed me to fill out exit paperwork. I asked them what do they mean its my last day? and they said I had told them I was leaving and said that today was my last day. I tried to fight it but they were not having any of it.

I filled out the paperwork which consisted of questions not related to me leaving exept for question 7. Why did you leave your position? Check all that apply.

I crossed out all options and checkmarked the Termination box. They also had a comment section and I replied:

I did not state I was leaving on a certain date. I stated that I was looking for a new job because the company refused to switch me to 1st shift. I was asking since July. I'm being removed from my position involuntarily.

Here I am a month later after applying for unemployment benifits. Unemployment is deciding my case and they should have thier decision within the next few days.

Do you think my unemplyment claim will or should be approved? Will I be penalized for telling them I was looking for another job...I didnt quit...I never left my notice. I was just trying to get them to switch me to the day shift and I had no intention of quitting anyhow. I loved the job I just wanted different hours.

If they decide against me is it worth it to submit an appeal? I'm running out of money very fast with the holidays approaching and im very concerned about my rent. I have never quit a job in my life and I wouldnt have quit this job without having another one in place.

It was a temp job that was suppost to last for 2 years. It was a high turnover job with 75 positions available on the day shift and the night shift for a total of 150 employees. 5 people a week would get fired or quit. Just telling them I was looking for another job is not the same as me giving my notice. I put them on notice....or am I wrong?

Last edited:
First rule of thumb, never tell your employer you are looking for other work unless you are prepared to leave that same day. Many employers will take such a statement as a resignation, and it is legal for them to do so. In some circumstances it even makes sense for them to do so.

As far as unemployment is concerned, however, no one here can do anything but give a guess. My GUESS is that you will probably be approved since you didn't give a specific date, but that is ONLY a guess, and the only opinion that matters is that of the adjudicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back