My Daughter's Father Has Been Claiming Her

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleeng

I:angel: recently found out that my daughter's father:dgrin has been claiming her as a dependent on his income taxes. She has never lived with him a day in her life! I am on disability and was told that I do not make enough to file, so I usually don't. However I did this year to get the economic stimulus package payment. I filed electronically and my return was sent back because someone had already claimed my dependant. I called the IRS and was told that I should go ahead and mail them a copy of my return. I would receive my payment and the computer would automatically begin an investigation into why the same dependant was claimed twice.

You may ask how I know it is her father that claimed her. I don't have any hard evidence. However, when he first started paying support he told me his accountant said he could not claim a child who did not live with him for at least 6 months. He then asked me if I would lie:eek: if he did claim her and I was questioned about it. I told him I would not lie for him under any circumstances:no:.

I have still not received my economic stimulus payment. I was wondering what I should do about that and also, could there be any repercussions from this that might affect me or my daughter?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thank You.

Whistleblow your husband and his accountant to the IRS.

I did. They didn't seem too concerned about it. All they told me to do was send my tax return in so the computer could start an investigation. They didn't even ask for his name. But they did tell me to make sure I file every year from now on so he won't get away with it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back