My 16 yr old daughter is pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Army, my guess is that your grandpa married someone 16 or YOUNGER. It's just silly that we have coddled teenagers in this age and told them they are children until they are 25. The fellow isn't 40 he's 22. That doesn't make him a pervert, it makes him quite normal.
You'd be guessing incorrectly.
Both of my grandfathers married my grandmothers at above the age of majority.
My paternal grandfather was 25.
My paternal grandmother was 24.
My maternal grandfather was 23.
My maternal grandmother was 21.
My father was 26.
My mother was 25.
I was 21, when I married my wife.
My wife was 22, when she married me.

Your anecdotal story of your niece is certainly sad, but you know as well as I do that there is a lot going on there not just the sex with a 22 year old. Its not that I'm so much in favor of what they are doing, it's enforcing the right response to something bad happening. If this 22 year old doesn't want to take on his duties as a man, then fine, prosecute him.

What other crime can you commit, and buy your way out of it? The creep broke the law. Creeps like that will continue to break the law, if there are no consequences.

But there is simply no reason to put him in jail and pretend that a 16 year old girl wasn't able or willing to give consent. Both parties now MUST grow up. It is not going to do anyone any good to put the man in jail. I've always been in favor of making them marry. Of course the law doesn't allow for such. I'm not saying that he doesn't have to face consequences, just make him face consequences that will hurt the only real child in this scenario, the BABY.

You're right, the creep doesn't belong in jail.
If he's convicted, he belongs in a prison cell.
These evil devils never stop with the molestation and conquest of one, young girl.
But, as I'm not the parent, it isn't up to me.
My daughter never met this fate. But, had she been molested, I'd have had the creep prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

(and please, bear in mind that outside of the US, the legal age of consent may vary between 14 and 16....)

(and I'm a Brit. It's 16 in the UK)

"Pervert" is very subjective. Now while I think in this (American - I've been here for a good 14 years) culture, 16 and 22 is "um...ok, not so much", where I was born and raised it wouldn't really draw more than an "oh gawd I hope they used something".

It's all about locality - it really is, oft times.

We are not in the UK.
We are in the USA.
Ignoring child rape is just one of the ways our culture (US culture) is being destroyed.
This saddens me.
I feel so sick that any adult would do this to a child.
I feel even sicker when other adults excuse child rape.
We are a nation of laws.
We have lost our way!

We are not in the UK.
We are in the USA.
Ignoring child rape is just one of the ways our culture (US culture) is being destroyed.
This saddens me.
I feel so sick that any adult would do this to a child.
I feel even sicker when other adults excuse child rape.
We are a nation of laws.
We have lost our way!

With respect, Judge...

Yes, I realize we're in the US. Does that mean that only your values matter? Of course not.

We've established that this 22 year old has broken the law.

We've established that this OP has legal options enabling her/him to pursue this in the legal context.

Everything else is extraneous to the issue. Seriously.

With respect, Judge...

Yes, I realize we're in the US. Does that mean that only your values matter? Of course not.

We've established that this 22 year old has broken the law.

We've established that this OP has legal options enabling her/him to pursue this in the legal context.

Everything else is extraneous to the issue. Seriously.

With all due respect, you brought up the issue of your native country.
What is germane to this is US law.
US law does not sanction a 22 year old having sexual relations with a 16 year old.

But, all of this is just opinion and speculation isn't it?

With all due respect, you brought up the issue of your native country.
What is germane to this is US law.
US law does not sanction a 22 year old having sexual relations with a 16 year old.

But, all of this is just opinion and speculation isn't it?

I brought up my country because you raised the issue of "perversion" - which is obviously quite subjective :)

In some states it IS perfectly legal to have sexual relations with a 16 year old - that was my point. Your opinion was, quite obviously, that this is perverted in any context, in any state, in any situation. My point was that the law disagrees with you not only in many states within the US, but on a global level too.

Granted, the "global" issue is moot here - but on a State level, it is indeed germane.

That's all, really :)

We are not helping the OP by bickering about opinons! The law is what it is. Since the law says the act was a crime them OP must use that (not our opinons) to base her decision. Now can we get back to the OP's question(s) and stop bickering over issues that mean nothing!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back