Moving, Movers Moving Out Early

Akfranklin2014

I approached the subject of renewing our lease with my landlord last month, at which time she told me her ex-fiancé kicked her out and her dad, who is cosigner on the house, wants her to start painting and replacing carpet so she can sell it. The end of our lease is September 15, but she asked if we could move by August 15th. I told her I wasn't sure at that time but I'd see what I could do.

While we were looking for places, she did agree to the 18th and our walkthrough and time to turn over the keys is 10am on August 19th. Over text we agreed that if we were out by the 18th, instead of paying rent (because paying rent plus rent & deposit on a new place is impossible) she would just keep our deposit for August's rent.

We finally found a place this weekend. We will be moving on the 18th of August. I have not told our current landlord yet as we're just getting things situated. I received a text from our current landlord this morning asking if we were going to pay rent on the first. She assumed we are still looking for a place because she received another call to verify our tenancy. She also stated if we did find a place she wants a copy of the signed lease so she can verify it with them and verify a deposit has been paid.

Do I have to give her this information? We've always paid our rent but we have been late. I don't want her calling the new landlord up and giving them anything that could jeopardize our new place. As far as I knew, after the walkthrough was done and she was given the keys, there wasn't anything else for me to give her. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no reason not to provide what she is asking for. More important for you is to obtain written permission from her to not pay the rent and to forfeit your deposit instead as an agreement to end the lease early.
This agreement can backfire on you when the walkthrough is done and deductions are made from the deposit, leaving you owing a bit.

There aren't any damages, I've made sure of that. I have pictures of how it was before and I will be taking pictures after we move everything and clean up. I have everything we've discussed in text message with time stamps and I've made copies in the event she tries to take us to court for ending the lease early. She's the one who asked us to leave early.

I just don't want her contacting our new landlord and discussing anything that might make them back out of the lease.

her dad . . . is cosigner on the house

What does this mean?

Do I have to give her this information?

Of course not.

As far as I knew, after the walkthrough was done and she was given the keys, there wasn't anything else for me to give her. Am I right?

You're asking us to predict the future. What if, in the landlord's opinion, the walk-through reveals damage in excess of normal wear and tear? What if the landlord disclaims the agreement by text message to terminate your lease early and to use your deposit in lieu of August rent?

I spoke to her earlier and told her I didn't feel she needed that information. I told her we are moving on the 18th as agreed. She was okay with that, but just wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get "bamboozled." (Her word.) So we're good now.

I spoke to her earlier and told her I didn't feel she needed that information. I told her we are moving on the 18th as agreed. She was okay with that, but just wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get "bamboozled." (Her word.) So we're good now.

You sought clarification.

She understood, you understood.

Clarification can help one to achieve understanding, and understanding eliminates disputes.

Bully for you two, behaving as intelligent adults.

That is something rare these days.........

Back