1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Moving out at 17

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by Annabug118, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Annabug118

Annabug118 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    My boyfriend is 17. He's not happy at home. His father is always judging and putting him down and emotionally abusing him. He has a job and my parents said its okay for him to move in. We live 15 minutes away from his parents house. Can you legally move in with me without the consent of his father as long as his mother says its okay?

2. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

DOES his mother say it's okay?

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Oh, boo hoo. That's the lament of every teenager.

Your parents are idiots and need to mind their own business and not get in the middle of somebody else's family matters.

No.

Tell your BF to suck it up and behave himself until his 18th birthday. Then he can go live wherever he wants.

4. Annabug118

Yes. She is okay with it. But His dad is not okay with him leaving completely.

5. Annabug118

Or I mean you could just get off my post. Like that's always a good option. You don't know his situation or what he goes through so kindly go and learn some manners. And act like an adult and not try and start drama on this. And as for my parents if you'd like to come say that to either their or my face you're more than welcome sweetheart.

6. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

The legal age to move out is 18. Not 17. If BOTH his parents are not in agreement with it, he stays where he is.

7. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

We may not know situation but answer questions exactly like this all the time. He is better off dealing with this until he is 18 and not cause problems or burn bridges

8. ElleMD

ElleMD Well-Known Member

If both of his parents do not agree, he stays put until 18. Your parents taking him in against his parents' wishes can get them in some major legal trouble. Not to mention that at 17, your relationship might change. I know you think that won't happen but you are both young and living with someone, even as an adult, can dramatically change the relationship and desire to be in it. If he is stuck living there, it can get ugly. It isn't all sunshine and roses no matter how much you love the person.