Moving Company Auctioned off Stuff without information

Preetham

Jurisdiction
Texas
I have moved my St Louis to Carollton TX Nov 30,2022. I have hired a moving company based out of Florida. I paid them and they scheduled some other movers from Kansas city to move my house stuff and car. They offered a month of free storage which i took[december].
I have paid storage fees from January, February and March completely to the moving company and asked for delivery on April 1st. They did not arrive and on calling them, they told they would not deliver then.
They again messaged me on April 22nd and I replied in a minute that I would take the delivery end of may.
They again messaged me may 22nd about delivery to which I replied with same week Saturday.

when I called on Friday, they said my stuff has all been auctioned off by storage people[Public storage TX].

apparently, my stuff was registered under some delivery driver's name who fell off the face of the earth and storage company tried to reach him and could not hold on to the stuff. He is still AWOL.

I have lost my whole stuff in the move, lots of artifacts, ceremonious stuff passed down from great grand parents.

The moving company sent an email accepting their mistake and to make a claim at 60 cents per pound which is absolute non sense.

How can I proceed on this ?
What type of lawyer handles these cases?
All my household stuff from past 10 years and my spouses and part of our family heritage is lost :(
What are my options?

How can I proceed on this ?
What type of lawyer handles these cases?
All my household stuff from past 10 years and my spouses and part of our family heritage is lost :(
What are my options?

If you have the appropriate insurance, you MIGHT be able to file a claim with your insurance carrier.

You first need to collect and account for every document issued to you by the company(ies) that issued same to you when you initiated the contract.

Unfortunately, you might be left with one option, 60¢ / pound.

You could make three or four appointments with attorneys in your area that have knowledge of contract law and law relating to the loss of Personal Property during INTERSTATE moves.

The main thing, speak to lawyers near you.
You might learn nothing, contrarily, you might learn a great deal.

Who Regulates Moving Companies?

The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and various local agencies, like state Public Utilities Commissions and Departments of Transportation, have strict regulations that moving companies must abide by.
Even for moving industry veterans, figuring out just who regulates moving companies in each state can be confusing.

That's why we always recommend choosing qualified and highly vetted moving companies with a good reputation to handle your move.

However, during the pre-move screening process, it's important to vet prospective movers, and verifying that they're in good standing with the agencies that regulate them is one of the best ways to do it.

To that end, this article will serve as a comprehensive state-by-state guide to moving company regulations.

Jump to the section you want to read about:

Interstate Moving Company Regulations
International Moving Regulations
Local Moving Regulations by State (in Alphabetical Order)
Moving Regulations FAQs

Who Regulates Moving Companies? | moveBuddha

State Moving Requirements and Necessary Licensing - Movers.com

Moving Company Regulations by State | Relocation.com

I do not have insurance for this stuff being moved.

Does the moving company writing an email to let me know that it is their driver who put the stuff in his name and disappearing count for anything ?

Isnt it their responsibility that the stuff should be safe and they have to communicate it with me about it [or they should know where the stuff is being kept is monitored or should they not have even minimum enough info about their employees whereabouts ?]

Want to know how to approach this

I do not have insurance for this stuff being moved.

Does the moving company writing an email to let me know that it is their driver who put the stuff in his name and disappearing count for anything ?

Isnt it their responsibility that the stuff should be safe and they have to communicate it with me about it [or they should know where the stuff is being kept is monitored or should they not have even minimum enough info about their employees whereabouts ?]

Want to know how to approach this
Read your contract.

Back