moved to another state

bowler

Jurisdiction
New York
I had a few judgements against me for credit card debt in NY entered against me about 10 years ago, I have since moved to Florida, I have been living in the state of florida for the past 7 years. Are the judgements still active?

I had a few judgements against me for credit card debt in NY entered against me about 10 years ago, I have since moved to Florida, I have been living in the state of florida for the past 7 years. Are the judgements still active?

Probably, (NY judgments remain viable for 10 years, but can be renewed) but its very hard (and expensive) to enforce judgments in debtor friendly states, of which FL is one.

You can have the judgments discharged via a chapter 7 bankruptcy, hope FL continues to be debtor friendly, or try to reach a settlement to make them go away.

You've probably seen the negative impact those judgments have on your FICO score.

Beyond the 10 year shelf life of a judgment, the impact against your FICO lasts much longer.

Judge is right but what wasn't mentioned was where the judgments were obtained. If it was in New York State, the New York statute of limitations on collection of a money judgment is 20 years. See N.Y. C.P.L.R. § 211(b) for the actual statute. What you are probably confusing is the 7 year limitation on reporting on your credit report with regard to certain entries under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). But this seems to be about a currently outstanding money judgment, not an item that was reported and then satisfied. And those are usually easy to find and included in many standard requests.

Back