Move In Gone Wrong

Khalyb Smith

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
So I was moving in my first house yesterday which is rented for college with one of my roommates and we signed the lease online only saw pictures of the place that they sent us and we walked in the house wasn't in the condition the pictures showed and later on it was revealed that roaches were downstairs multiple and I have pictures of them to prove it as well. My lease didn't agree to living with any pests and I don't feel comfortable living there either. I informed my landlord and he didn't call a exterminator just bought stuff to spray them with and I'm currently not staying there. It is a rental company and the house wasn't clean either when I moved in. I was wondering if I would be able to resign from the lease or if there is any way I would be able to leave the house.

So I was moving in my first house yesterday which is rented for college with one of my roommates and we signed the lease online only saw pictures of the place that they sent us and we walked in the house wasn't in the condition the pictures showed and later on it was revealed that roaches were downstairs multiple and I have pictures of them to prove it as well. My lease didn't agree to living with any pests and I don't feel comfortable living there either. I informed my landlord and he didn't call a exterminator just bought stuff to spray them with and I'm currently not staying there. It is a rental company and the house wasn't clean either when I moved in. I was wondering if I would be able to resign from the lease or if there is any way I would be able to leave the house.
You have to afford the landlord the opportunity to correct the problem.
You have now learned a lesson: NEVER lease a place to live without seeing it first.

Besides the roaches, what else was not as expected?

If you do not move in you will likely be held responsible for rent until the landlord secures another tenant.

You certainly do not HAVE to move in- you just have some temporary financial liability due to your lease agreement. Negotiate a release with your landlord- IN WRITING (nothing wrong with you writing up the agreement yourself). He may prefer that rather than to address your complaints.

Also forgot to include my friend looked at the house for me since I currently didn't live there

So I was moving in my first house yesterday which is rented for college with one of my roommates and we signed the lease online only saw pictures of the place that they sent us and we walked in the house wasn't in the condition the pictures showed and later on it was revealed that roaches were downstairs multiple and I have pictures of them to prove it as well.

Why did you sign a lease for a place without seeing anything other than photographs? Did the landlord provide these photographs, or did your friend who looked at the house provide them?

I was wondering if I would be able to resign from the lease or if there is any way I would be able to leave the house.

All you've told us is the following:

1. That "the house wasn't in the condition the pictures showed," but you didn't explain what exactly that means.

2. There were roaches present. However, the landlord sprayed to take care of the roaches. You didn't tell us the extent to which this spraying was successful.

Based on this minimal and vague information, no, you will not be able to rescind the lease.

I was wondering if I would be able to resign from the lease or if there is any way I would be able to leave the house.

You can ask your LL about "BUYING" yourself our of the lease.

Ask the LL, see what it would cost to "BUY" your way out of the lease.

Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing, if the LL agrees to let you "BUY" your way out of the lease.

You would also be wise to discuss the entire matter with your mom and pop.

Back