Motion to Set Aside Termination of Parental Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieAnne

My name is Stephanie.

My fiance, Sheldon, and I met in August 2005, at which point his ex-girlfriend, Amber, was pregnant. He didn't know whether or not it was his child because Amber was very…promiscuous…and she cheated on him quite often. In the back of Sheldon's mind, he knew it was his, but anyone would question a girl like this. When the time came, Amber didn't call Sheldon and tell him when the baby, Tyler, was born. In fact, she told him the baby wasn't his. She called Sheldon after Tyler was born while she was still in the hospital, told him she wanted a bump (cocaine), but never told him about their baby. It wasn't until later, when Sheldon discovered Tyler's birthday, that he realized when she called him it was when Tyler was born. But she never said a word about it. Until Tyler was about a month old, Amber told Sheldon he wasn't his child. He was some other guy's and he wasn't Sheldon's. Sheldon tried contacting her, believing she was lying, trying to see Tyler, but she wouldn't allow it. When she finally came around to the truth, that Sheldon is Tyler's daddy, he was one month old. She brought him over for a night, and was late picking him up the next day. She brought him over another night, and when she came to pick him up, I was alone with Tyler (Sheldon had to go to work) and, despite all attempts made by Sheldon, Amber has never let him see Tyler since then. Tyler is 21 months old now.

In April, Amber filed a Termination of Parental Rights against Sheldon. He was served, I took the papers. The sherrif told me to have Sheldon call the court and find out when the court date was. Sheldon called (and called), and Sheldon went to the courthouse on numerous occasions. They told him he would receive his court date in the mail. He never received anything in the mail. So we went back to the courthouse to see what the deal was, and they told us the court date was the day before. Sheldon got a copy of the file and nowhere in this file is there a Notice of Hearing. He was never told when his court date was, it is on file, and they took his parental rights away anyway. He was never given a chance to fight for his son. Amber is diagnosed bipolar and is big into drugs and is a stripper and is all around just a dumb, crazy girl. There is no way, if Amber and Sheldon stood in front of a judge together, they would have let Amber have Tyler.

About a month ago, October, Amber lost Tyler. Someone filed a complaint with Child Protective Services, and they were coming to take Tyler away from Amber. Tyler is now in the custody of Amber's parents, who don't like Amber and would prefer not to have Tyler. (Amber also lost custody of her daughter a couple years before.)

THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH: We need to file a Motion to Set Aside Default Judgment or a Motion to Vacate Default Judgment, to set aside the judgment of Termination of Parental Rights. I want to do it the right way, and I want to do a really good job. Can someone please help me, with a template to follow and some really good things to say in it? I do know what I want to say, but I need the exact right way to say it. After we file that motion we will be filing custody papers, but we have to set aside the Termination of Parental Rights, so that he can have rights to his son again. But I really need help with the motion because I've never done anything like this before, and I want to do the best job I can do. PLEASE help me!

My name is Stephanie.

My fiance, Sheldon, and I met in August 2005, at which point his ex-girlfriend, Amber, was pregnant. He didn't know whether or not it was his child because Amber was very…promiscuous…and she cheated on him quite often. In the back of Sheldon's mind, he knew it was his, but anyone would question a girl like this. When the time came, Amber didn't call Sheldon and tell him when the baby, Tyler, was born. In fact, she told him the baby wasn't his. She called Sheldon after Tyler was born while she was still in the hospital, told him she wanted a bump (cocaine), but never told him about their baby. It wasn't until later, when Sheldon discovered Tyler's birthday, that he realized when she called him it was when Tyler was born. But she never said a word about it. Until Tyler was about a month old, Amber told Sheldon he wasn't his child. He was some other guy's and he wasn't Sheldon's. Sheldon tried contacting her, believing she was lying, trying to see Tyler, but she wouldn't allow it. When she finally came around to the truth, that Sheldon is Tyler's daddy, he was one month old. She brought him over for a night, and was late picking him up the next day. She brought him over another night, and when she came to pick him up, I was alone with Tyler (Sheldon had to go to work) and, despite all attempts made by Sheldon, Amber has never let him see Tyler since then. Tyler is 21 months old now.

In April, Amber filed a Termination of Parental Rights against Sheldon. He was served, I took the papers. The sherrif told me to have Sheldon call the court and find out when the court date was. Sheldon called (and called), and Sheldon went to the courthouse on numerous occasions. They told him he would receive his court date in the mail. He never received anything in the mail. So we went back to the courthouse to see what the deal was, and they told us the court date was the day before. Sheldon got a copy of the file and nowhere in this file is there a Notice of Hearing. He was never told when his court date was, it is on file, and they took his parental rights away anyway. He was never given a chance to fight for his son. Amber is diagnosed bipolar and is big into drugs and is a stripper and is all around just a dumb, crazy girl. There is no way, if Amber and Sheldon stood in front of a judge together, they would have let Amber have Tyler.

About a month ago, October, Amber lost Tyler. Someone filed a complaint with Child Protective Services, and they were coming to take Tyler away from Amber. Tyler is now in the custody of Amber's parents, who don't like Amber and would prefer not to have Tyler. (Amber also lost custody of her daughter a couple years before.)

THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH: We need to file a Motion to Set Aside Default Judgment or a Motion to Vacate Default Judgment, to set aside the judgment of Termination of Parental Rights. I want to do it the right way, and I want to do a really good job. Can someone please help me, with a template to follow and some really good things to say in it? I do know what I want to say, but I need the exact right way to say it. After we file that motion we will be filing custody papers, but we have to set aside the Termination of Parental Rights, so that he can have rights to his son again. But I really need help with the motion because I've never done anything like this before, and I want to do the best job I can do. PLEASE help me!

Are you an attorney? If not you should not be filing anything. Please have BF sign up for help. Thanks...:)

No its not your only option. Some court have faciltators who help with paperwork but do not give legal advice. Even the clerk might help. If you make a mistake you can delay process. Example:

My husband went to a company that fills out legal paperwork for his "simple" Divorce 2 years later and several rejections he got his money back and we went to court faciltator got it done very quickly! Had we done it ourself or stayed with this joke legal service we might still be waiting for Divorce so we could marry

The first thing you need to do is take the "we" out of any of this. "We" have no legal rights in this matter. You are considered to be a legal stranger to ALL of this. Any contact with the court through written documentation needs to include the boyfriends name ONLY.

Gail

No I am not an attorney. We can't afford an attorney. I know I can do it myself. It's our only option. So can you help ME?

That would be illegal. It's called "Practicing Law w/o a License. Please have Dad sign up and we can advise HIM how to file pro se.

Something sounds very fishy about your entire story. No offence but this isn't our first time around a court room.

First, when papers are served they come with a SUMMONS right on top that has the court date ON IT. You don't wait for notice in the mail or have to talk to the court to find out when the court date is. It's like you are saying the court hid the date from you even though you were "calling and calling" and visiting the court. Something about that part of your story just isn't true.

In Georgia, if you were served a Termination of Parental Rights as a father you would have 30 days to legitimate the child. Now I know that other states don't have legitimation proceedings but in order to have standing in the court over the child you would have to be the legal father. So, since you state he had questions about paternity but you never said that he did anything about it. Apparently he was not concerned enough to find out for sure if he was the father. That would have been your first step.

Since he has never filed for paternity, my guess is that he has never paid child support either. Not only do I not buy that he has been unable to see Tyler since, I know that is not true. All he would have had to do is to file for paternity. The problem is that would have come with a child support order and my guess is that he didn't want that.

So now this child s 21 months old and instead of him being here, you are here, trying to see if he can reverse a Termination of Parental Rights. It's just my opinion but it seems to be a little late now.

By the way, you seem a bit harsh on Amber. I'm not saying that she is a choir girl in the church, but you miss one big point. If she is a bi-polar, stripper, coke-head, crazy girl then why is/was your boyfriend involved with her in the first place? We all make mistakes but you want us to believe that your boyfriend is a saint who is trying to rescue this child from a sinner. I don't believe it.

You know what my main reason for thinking so is? Aside from the fact that he has not been part of his son's life for 21 months, didn't fight for him, didn't pay child support, etc, etc. . . . . When his "ex" girlfriend was in the hospital she called HIM for a "bump."

Drug users rarely call NON-drug users from the hospital and ask for Drugs. You know?

Something sounds very fishy about your entire story. No offence but this isn't our first time around a court room.

First, when papers are served they come with a SUMMONS right on top that has the court date ON IT. You don't wait for notice in the mail or have to talk to the court to find out when the court date is. It's like you are saying the court hid the date from you even though you were "calling and calling" and visiting the court. Something about that part of your story just isn't true.

In Georgia, if you were served a Termination of Parental Rights as a father you would have 30 days to legitimate the child. Now I know that other states don't have legitimation proceedings but in order to have standing in the court over the child you would have to be the legal father. So, since you state he had questions about paternity but you never said that he did anything about it. Apparently he was not concerned enough to find out for sure if he was the father. That would have been your first step.

Since he has never filed for paternity, my guess is that he has never paid child support either. Not only do I not buy that he has been unable to see Tyler since, I know that is not true. All he would have had to do is to file for paternity. The problem is that would have come with a child support order and my guess is that he didn't want that.

So now this child s 21 months old and instead of him being here, you are here, trying to see if he can reverse a Termination of Parental Rights. It's just my opinion but it seems to be a little late now.

By the way, you seem a bit harsh on Amber. I'm not saying that she is a choir girl in the church, but you miss one big point. If she is a bi-polar, stripper, coke-head, crazy girl then why is/was your boyfriend involved with her in the first place? We all make mistakes but you want us to believe that your boyfriend is a saint who is trying to rescue this child from a sinner. I don't believe it.

You know what my main reason for thinking so is? Aside from the fact that he has not been part of his son's life for 21 months, didn't fight for him, didn't pay child support, etc, etc. . . . . When his "ex" girlfriend was in the hospital she called HIM for a "bump."

Drug users rarely call NON-drug users from the hospital and ask for Drugs. You know?

Alright, well I was served the papers and I know what the Sheriff told me. Thanks, not dumb. The entire story is true, so get that thought out of your head. :) Oh, and we don't live in Georgia. We live in Franklin County, NC. They do things a little differently here, and I doubt you've ever lived here. SO. There's no possible way you could know what they did or do.

Sheldon opened a Child Support case against himself and did his part of the paternity test and it took 7 months for them to get Tyler's part of the paternity test. Because Amber wouldn't go to Child Support to establish paternity. The Child Support case workers had to take Tyler from Amber at court one day and take him in the back to get his part of the test. SO. Sheldon attempted to establish paternity and, through no fault of his own, couldn't get it done for 7 months. He paid child support.

I'm sorry you don't buy that he hasn't been able to see Tyler. But Amber hid from Sheldon for all of Tyler's life, specifically so that he couldn't see him. So, wrong again. Good job.

I do not think Sheldon is a saint. He used to do drugs. He doesn't anymore. He grew up. Imagine that. She called him while she was in the hospital to see if he was still with me. In the event that he was not, she would have told him Tyler was born. But, since he was still with me, instead she told him she WANTED a bump. Not asked him for one. Told him she wanted one. Wrong again. You're batting a thousand here.

Have you never been in love? Have you never thought you knew someone, only to find out you were wrong the whole time? Well, Amber is good at being who she should be in a moment. She is good at manipulation. You don't know me or my life or Sheldon or his life or anything about it, aside from this particular situation. In fact, I just wanted help. I didn't come here to be judged or to have my husband be judged. And that's what you did. So... congratulations for being ...wrong.

And as for "Gail", I am aware of myself being a legal stranger in all of this. I never planned on putting my name on anything or speaking personally to anyone. That would be all Sheldon.

Sheldon went online himself and posted in forums, just like this. I was merely helping him do it. He talked to anyone and everyone he could think of to talk to and no one could tell him what to do.

I just wanted someone to help me with a form. I didn't ask for you opinion on the situation.

Again...Your BF should be doing this. Not you. Period. If the actual PARTY to the LEGAL situation would like assistance, please have his start an account and ask.

Thanks.

you have no standing to do anything where this child is concerned-you are a legal stranger not mom. let your bf deal with it.

My name is Stephanie.

this matter doesnt legally concern you are dad's gf, not the child's mother. you have no rights to the child, no say over the child, and no legal standing to do anything in court when it comes to this child. let your fiance deal with matter concerning HIS child and stay out of it before it causes him problems. judges dont like meddling third parties who dont know when to mind their own business. and this child is none of your business.

Insert wall-banging icon here.

lonely, please knock it off. You are NOT helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back