Consumer Law, Warranties Motion to Dismiss in North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnhappyinVA

Had a renter sign a lease in Virginia for my rental home in Virginia. We signed it at the rental home. A few days later, he decided he no longer wanted to rent the home. He asked for his deposit to be returned. I asked him to read his lease again and that he must provide 30 days written notice and that, according to the Virginia Landlord/Tenant Act, he would still be responsible for the rent and can be until it is rented again. He has not provided a written notice nor has he return the keys.

Today- I received via US mail a civil summons from the State of NC from him for the lease/rental that occurred in Virginia.

1. I believe NC does not have jurisdiction as this occurred in Virginia. Correct?
2. How do I go about having this dismissed in the simplest way??

HELP

Simplest way is to refund the deposit and find a new tenant.
Though you may have a valid claim to keep all or some of the deposit, it appears you will be spending some time in one court or another in order to do so.

Once you've been properly served and noticed, your recourse lies in the courtroom.
You either defend, or you default.
That is presuming your logic works.
As MM says, you can always return the deposit in FULL at the court appearance and agree to dismiss the lawsuit.
He's probably sued you in his home state.
If the state allows it, and you have accepted service, you must now defend in NC; or risk a default judgment.
Any judgment can be pesky and troublesome.
I suggest you work to settle this, return the deposit.
Fighting this is stupid and can end up being COSTLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back