mother had custody in ak. grandmother got custody in mo.how did this happen need help

Alvina

Jurisdiction
Missouri
  • My grandson needs legal help. His mother had custody of him in Arkansas. He was staying with me and grandpa (mothers side)in Missouri and he got out of hand. Husband(grandpa) went to the law enforcement to just scarce him. The law called children services they took him. Somehow his dad's mother got custody or garidian over him. His dad has no custody and is not allowed around him. They all live on one lot,one trailor. His dad, dad's mother,and his dad's sister. His Aunt(dad's sister) takes his ssi check,his grandmother(dads mother)gets an allotment check, which is support to be spent on him and isn't. How is this legal. He turned 17 last January. He has not lived with them in over a year, he stays with his girlfriend and her parents. Please get back with me. Thank you Phyllis Moore on Braydon Loyds behalf

If he's looking to get emancipated it won't happen. He should just wait until he turns 18 - then he can do what he wants.

• My grandson needs legal help. His mother had custody of him in Arkansas. He was staying with me and grandpa (mothers side)in Missouri and he got out of hand. Husband(grandpa) went to the law enforcement to just scarce him. The law called children services they took him. Somehow his dad's mother got custody or garidian over him. His dad has no custody and is not allowed around him. They all live on one lot,one trailor. His dad, dad's mother,and his dad's sister. His Aunt(dad's sister) takes his ssi check,his grandmother(dads mother)gets an allotment check, which is support to be spent on him and isn't. How is this legal. He turned 17 last January. He has not lived with them in over a year, he stays with his girlfriend and her parents. Please get back with me. Thank you Phyllis Moore on Braydon Loyds behalf
Well he's a minor so usually someone is assigned to handle SSI for minors. I don't remember exactly what it's called. But my daughter got SSI for a short time and I got the checks in my name. But I deposited them into an account for her. It's supposed to be spent to support the child not on them - so things like rent, utilities, groceries, etc. They're supposed to keep receipts of everything to prove that they're spending it on the child so if the aren't, they'll get caught eventually.

What do you want to happen? When does he turn 18? Once he's 18 he can do what he wants.

Husband(grandpa) went to the law enforcement to just scarce him.

That's an incredibly stupid reason to involve law enforcement.

his dad's mother got custody or garidian over him. His dad has no custody and is not allowed around him. They all live on one lot,one trailor.

So...the child's father was living with his mother, and no one thought to inform the court handling the custody/guardianship matter that there was an existing order prohibiting the father from being around the child?

How is this legal.

In order to offer any sort of explanation to you, one would need a much clearer and more complete explanation of the relevant facts -- specifically how custody or a guardianship was awarded to the paternal grandmother. The child's mother should have been notified about that such that she could have objected.

He has not lived with them in over a year, he stays with his girlfriend and her parents.

Ok...so what's the problem? Unless you think someone is going to try and alter the status quo in the next eight months before he turns 18, I'm not really sure there's anything to be done.

Back