mother deceased sister on joint bank account is sister liable for mothers debts?CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pate

mother died 1 month ago... my sister is on mothers checking account as joint...is my sister liable for mothers debts...can she close out the account immediately...if sister receives bills from businesses and there is not enough money in the account can she just write deceased on the letters and send back to sender? thank you... pate

She needs to contact the companies and send a copy of the death certificate-- it depends on what the debts are if they are secured or unsecured. It also depends if the estate has money to pay for the unsecured debts. she really should get her own account and close that one out. Sometimes you will get checks in the mail for any over payments that your mom may have padi to comaonies once they know she is deceased etc.. those checks will be in your moms name and having that account is helpful to deposit them in--

dear theresagail...thank you for reply....it my understanding that my mother had no secured debts....her estate has no assets(less than $15,000 in checking account) most or all of her medical and hospital will be covered by medicare and one supplemental insurance policy....therefore should my sister close out the checking account asap? .. thank you pate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back