money

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkdod

last October I was working for a company that did build three story hotels in and around the PA and Maryland area. working as a laborer I recommended a friend who needed a job and he got the job. we went working together for a month or two till the checks that we were receiving stop coming in. so we both backed out of the job and a month later the company went out of business. my friends uncle called me 2 weeks after we quit and ask me for the money that my friend was owed by working and I told him that that will go up with the company not me. now me not knowing about the law he says if I don't pay the money that is owed to my friend he could take me to court for the money cause I got him the job and says that is was a fake job and I was setting him up for free labor. the amount is $1000.00 and cause I wanted to keep my friend I started to do small payments on it. till now were I hear he has no case against me for the company not paying him. on 10/6/2014 he called me said he is going to take me to court over the matter that I am now not paying the money that I do not owe him and threating me about the matter. my question is can he sew me for the money?

thanks j.r

It is very hard to follow your story as the grammar is so poor. I think you indicated that you recommended a friend for a job with the company where you worked and when that company went out of business, the friend's uncle claimed you owed the friend money because you told him of the vacancy. If so, it makes zero sense why you would have listened to this uncle or think that you were responsible for the company going under (unless it was your company and you hadn't paid him all the wages he had earned)? If you were just fellow coworkers, you owe him nothing. This guy isn't your friend.

last October I was working for a company that did build three story hotels in and around the PA and Maryland area. working as a laborer I recommended a friend who needed a job and he got the job. we went working together for a month or two till the checks that we were receiving stop coming in. so we both backed out of the job and a month later the company went out of business. my friends uncle called me 2 weeks after we quit and ask me for the money that my friend was owed by working and I told him that that will go up with the company not me. now me not knowing about the law he says if I don't pay the money that is owed to my friend he could take me to court for the money cause I got him the job and says that is was a fake job and I was setting him up for free labor. the amount is $1000.00 and cause I wanted to keep my friend I started to do small payments on it. till now were I hear he has no case against me for the company not paying him. on 10/6/2014 he called me said he is going to take me to court over the matter that I am now not paying the money that I do not owe him and threating me about the matter. my question is can he sew me for the money?

thanks j.r

I apologize for the unwarranted personal attacks on your grammar. I understand you perfectly.

Relax, sir, you aren't in anyway responsible to pay your friend wages owed to him by your financially defunct former employer. You simply gave him small amounts of money as gifts.

If what you've reported is true, you are a victim, too. Tell you friend to report the matter to these nice folks. You can do the same:

Good luck, I hope you get your money.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=553573&mode=2

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...abor_law_compliance/10515/wage_payment/553525

Last edited:
Just recommending your friend for a job does not make you responsible for any wages due this person - the employer owes the money. It seems you didn't get paid either & are owed wages.

Glad someone else could follow it. The lack of proper sentence structure, overuse of pronouns, and no capitalization made it very difficult to follow. It was also unclear whether they quit or were terminated because the company went under.

Last edited:
If it was me I would ask for any payments made be returned. :) My thinking would be let him take me to court because he doesn't have ground to do so. Then file a counter claim for payments made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back