Money order

PELLIS

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I mailed a completly filled out money order to my landlord, who never received it. Called money gram to cancel it. They couldn't until they received some forms from me first. By the time they received my forms the money order had already been cashed in another state. And it wasn't my landlord. I ordered a photocopy of the money order which was blank. The only thing that was on there was a confirmation number and the amount of the money order. Which was written in but typed in when I purchased and mailed it. Money gram is supposed to be sending me where it was cashed and what bank it was located at. My question is do I make a police report? So when they do find out who cashed it I can either press charges or take them to small claims court to get my money back.

I mailed a completly filled out money order to my landlord, who never received it. Called money gram to cancel it. They couldn't until they received some forms from me first. By the time they received my forms the money order had already been cashed in another state. And it wasn't my landlord. I ordered a photocopy of the money order which was blank. The only thing that was on there was a confirmation number and the amount of the money order. Which was written in but typed in when I purchased and mailed it. Money gram is supposed to be sending me where it was cashed and what bank it was located at. My question is do I make a police report? So when they do find out who cashed it I can either press charges or take them to small claims court to get my money back.

If you mail anything IMPORTANT, its always best to use PRIORITY MAIL, FedEx, or UPS.

Why?

Because all of those methods have TRACKING NUMBERS and provide PROOF of DELIVERY!

I suggest you ask MoneyGram what you must do to be reimbursed.

If I recall correctly, you are required to complete a notarized affidavit in order to effect reimbursement by the company.

MoneyGram says:
*If you suspect fraud on a transaction that has not yet been received, please contact our Customer Care Center at (800) 926-9400 (in Spanish - (800) 955-7777) in order to have the transaction canceled immediately.

This is part of that process:
Report fraud
http://www.moneygram.com/us/en/Documents/Sept 2016 English Claim Card.pdf

If you mail anything IMPORTANT, its always best to use PRIORITY MAIL, FedEx, or UPS.

Why?

Because all of those methods have TRACKING NUMBERS and provide PROOF of DELIVERY!

I suggest you ask MoneyGram what you must do to be reimbursed.

If I recall correctly, you are required to complete a notarized affidavit in order to effect reimbursement by the company.

MoneyGram says:
*If you suspect fraud on a transaction that has not yet been received, please contact our Customer Care Center at (800) 926-9400 (in Spanish - (800) 955-7777) in order to have the transaction canceled immediately.

This is part of that process:
Report fraud
http://www.moneygram.com/us/en/Documents/Sept 2016 English Claim Card.pdf
I called money gram and they said the company couldn't reimburse me because a money order is like cash. I explained to them that I did everything I was supposed to do as far as filling it out. They are sending me a paper in the mail, which is going to take two weeks to get here, that is going to show where it was cashed and who cashed it. I asked what do I do after that? They told me to go to that company and ask if I could be refunded. On the back of the photocopy is had charolette nc on it.

I called money gram and they said the company couldn't reimburse me because a money order is like cash. I explained to them that I did everything I was supposed to do as far as filling it out. They are sending me a paper in the mail, which is going to take two weeks to get here, that is going to show where it was cashed and who cashed it. I asked what do I do after that? They told me to go to that company and ask if I could be refunded. On the back of the photocopy is had charolette nc on it.

Read the instructions on the website by searching for the link, or using the one I provided.

You can obtain the forms TODAY online in as few as five or six seconds.

The process isn't rapid, but eventually if fraud is reported and the evidence supports it, you'll be reimbursed.

If I recall correctly, the maximum amount on one MG MO is $500 to $1,000, depending on what merchant sold you the MO.

Read the instructions on the website by searching for the link, or using the one I provided.

You can obtain the forms TODAY online in as few as five or six seconds.

The process isn't rapid, but eventually if fraud is reported and the evidence supports it, you'll be reimbursed.

If I recall correctly, the maximum amount on one MG MO is $500 to $1,000, depending on what merchant sold you the MO.
Ok. Thanks. I will use the link that you provided.

Report FRAUD USING THIS LINK LOOK ABOUT 3/4S of the way down. That's where youy'll see where you begin the fraud reporting process online:
Report fraud
moneygram has emailed me an affidavit. after calling 12 times and being hung up on 5 times. But this is a start. i feel like i have been robbed. im going to go ahead and do a police report to attach with this affidavit.

moneygram has emailed me an affidavit. after calling 12 times and being hung up on 5 times. But this is a start. i feel like i have been robbed. im going to go ahead and do a police report to attach with this affidavit.

The location where the THIEF negotiated the MO is where you file the report, not where you bought the MO.

Actually you can report to your local police and they will forward it to the appropriate jurisdiction for investigation. However, if the appropriate jurisdiction will take a report over the phone or online you may be able to do so without leaving home. If the money order was stolen in the mail you could also report it to the postal inspector.

If I understand correctly you send a fully filled out money order but a partially filled out, or otherwise different one, was cashed?
Did you keep your copy of the completely filled out money order? Hopefully you did and filled it all out correctly.

ok. here's the update on the money order situation. fasten your seat belts! my landlord did get the money order. which is a month late. the p.o. box guy was out on vacation and the money order was put in the wrong p.o. box. ok. i called money gram to see if it was still good for him to cash. i dont know anything about a money order but how to buy them. they said the money order he had had a zero balance and wasnt active. when i bought the the money order i was given a reciept. well apparently the number on my reciept was different from the money order number on the actual money order. which i never thought to look at the numbers. i just think to look to make sure the amount on the money order is correct. so when i called before finding that out that's why it said it was cashed by someone else in another state. money gram had no idea as to what was going on and neither did i. when i got to walmart i showed them my reciept and my money order. they even called money gram to figure out what was going on. idk if walmart has to punch numbers in to activate the money order or what. it was off by one number. to make a long story short. walmart replaced the money order and issued out a new one. april has been the craziest month of my life. im out of 25.00 because i requested a photocopy of the money order that they were telling me was cashed but i was able to get my rent back. i do want to do something about my mail not getting to my landlord until a whole month later. even if the guy was on vacation. someone should have been there to pick up his job.

You should just take your win and live your life.
Its over for you, mate, never to cause you grief again.
Walmart performed their EXCELLENT customer service.
Had this happened with a MO you bought from Sammy's Liquor Closet, you'd have never received such a speedy response as you did from Walmart.

Good luck, enjoy your life, it'll never be as long as you want it to be.
Don't waste a minute of it fighting over nothing, or in some lousy courtroom.

Back