Mom in hospital 3 days before they called us, missing morphine and refusing to give details

homesteader50

Jurisdiction
Washington
My mom recently died and there were a lot of unfortunate things that occurred.

1. We weren't told for 3 days that our mom was in ER and that she was dying.

2. When the hospital finally did call, they seemed to be asking for my blessing to simply make my mom comfortable but they had already made that decision.

3. The home health care company apparently found my mom and she had appeared to have hit her head (from what we can gather) and they called the ambulance. They however never informed us that she has been taken to hospital. We had to find out 3 days later (and during that time, her cats were locked in the apt with no food or water.)

4. We were told my mom had hit her head and was dazed and that she had pills all around her. (She might have taken a little too much morphine as they let her manage her own pain meds (wise?) but it wasn't an intentional or apparent overdose. Still waiting on autopsy due to her having a head wound. I was shocked as thought she died from the cancer.)

5, When we got to her apt days later, an entire pill bottle of 90 morphine pills was empty and she had just had it filled. No one will explain where the pills went and when I wanted more information from home health care, they flat out REFUSED to give details about the morning my mom was found, where and so forth.

Because the hospital didn't call, nor home health for 3 days (even though we were on her emergency contact), she died before we had a chance to see her. We even tried to set up a video call and she dies an hour and ten minutes before that call was scheduled. They stole this from us. The fact the home health care refuses to give a statement about the morning she was found and that she had a black eye and almost a whole bottle of Morphine is missing, we feel something is amiss.

I would like to also say that I was told by someone because of my mom's age (71) and the fact she had cancer when she died, it is likely no fault will be found. I found this horrible to hear that these companies can get away with what they like because she was elderly and dying?

What can we do and do we have a valid case?

What can we do and do we have a valid case?

Please accept my sincere condolences upon the passing of your beloved mother.

You can do any number of things, as you live in a free country.

If my mother had succumbed under mysterious circumstances after a period of mourning, I'd discuss my suspicions and concerns with three or four medical malpractice attorneys.

Back