Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP/Open intox in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

purdybaby075

Hey. I'm 19 and got an MIP on my 19th birthday (literally at 1:20 am) in Ottawa County. I never took a breathalyzer and passed the "pen test" however was still issued an MIP. There was an open container in the car and I, foolishly, claimed it was mine to keep everyone else out of trouble. In actuality, it was not mine but I knew whose it was so I felt it was my responsibility. We had a sober driver but were pulled over for a broken headlight. I never admitted to drinking anything but because I claimed the open intox, I automatically received the MIP. My question is this: what should I do? I have never been in trouble for anything before. Should I just plead not-guilty or ask the judge for a deferred adjudication or one time diversion? Any help would be much appreciated!

Your admission is enough for an MIP. You should still plead not guilty at arraignment, and if you don't get an attorney, at least talk to the prosecutor at some point and work out a plea arrangement. Michigan seems to have a disproportianate amount of MIPs, and for the most part, your first offense not much is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back