Military, adultery, help

Confused652

I didn't know the man I was dating was married. He's in the military and I told his wife everything out of guilt. I'm sure she screenshot it and she told me I might have to testify. I'm only 18 and I don't want to go to court and testify. Can they make me? What happens if I don't show up or I'm in another state? Is the confession all she needs?

I didn't know the man I was dating was married. He's in the military and I told his wife everything out of guilt. I'm sure she screenshot it and she told me I might have to testify. I'm only 18 and I don't want to go to court and testify. Can they make me? What happens if I don't show up or I'm in another state? Is the confession all she needs?

Military members can be charged for committing adultery under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
He or she won't be charged with "adultery" per se, rather if charged it'll be under Article 134, which is known as the "General Article."
Article 134 prohibits conduct which brings discredit upon the military, or conduct which is prejudicial to good order, discipline, and morale.

Regardles of the specific charge(s), CONFUSED, you did nothing illegal or wrong.
You didn't know, but when you learned of his actions, you told his spouse.
You can be ordered to court and required to testify.
That said, only you know what you know.
Others might suspect you know something, they don't know that you know something.
What you do is up to you.
I suggest you simply answer the questions TRUTHFULLY.
You'll never get in trouble for telling the truth.
So, I suggest you just reflect on things, debate them in your mind, then you decide what you will do if called upon to take an oath to tell the WHOLE truth.
You can lie, and no one can prove you've lied.
But, you'll know the truth, you'll know you lied.
Think of it this way, what if you were on trial.
Wouldn't you want EVERYONE to tell the truth?
I wish you well, CONFUSED, you deserve it.

Court? Testify? There are the rules and what hypothetically can happen and what will likely happen -- or not happen. If the couple is getting divorced, unless there is some type of outright denial by the husband and enough money to sustain prolonged litigation in divorce court, it's probable that having to go to court to testify is small. In most instances, unless there is enough money to make it worthwhile, chances are the parties will settle without needing to include you for an in court statement under oath. One would have to think that there will be plenty of other fire to be handled. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Consider yourself fortunate and warned about deception in relationships.

Hmm... Just curious... Can a civilian be ordered/obligated to appear in a military court?

Yes, a military judge has the power to issue warrants, summonses, subpoenas, etc...
This is pursuant to the effective administration of justice.
Most military trial counsels (prosecution) are also assistant US attorneys.
This is done to allow the civilian US attorneys not to be required to travel from their main posts to military bases to try traffic offenses, misdemeanors, and even felonies committed on US military installations.
The sitting judge in those cases is generally a US magistrate, and felony cases get transferred after the arraignment to the nearest US Federal Court.

Last edited:
Back