Medicare retaining the other driver's insurance as primary insurance

Jon1980B

My aunt was involved in a car accident about 2 years ago where the other driver's insurance accepted the liability, and we had reached a bodily injury settlement, and paid Medicare lien, and Medicare lien is satisfied, and CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) had closed the case. However, Medicare is retaining the other person's insurance as the primary plan for liability, and motor vehicle for 3 years from the date of accident. The other person's insurance no longer has legal responsibility to provide coverage to my aunt due to having reached the settlement and having satisfied Medicare lien. In this situation, how is Medicare able to retain the other person's insurance as , the primary plan for liability, and motor vehicle for 3 years from the date of accident? I am worried that if my aunt gets into another car accident during the remainder of the 3 years, and need medical care., Medicare will not provide coverage, and neither will the other person's insurance.

Medicare is retaining the other person's insurance as the primary plan for liability, and motor vehicle for 3 years from the date of accident.

Right. For any medical treatment required as a result of only that accident.

I am worried that if my aunt gets into another car accident during the remainder of the 3 years, and need medical care., Medicare will not provide coverage

A new accident starts a whole new claim.

Back