1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Medicare retaining the other driver's insurance as primary insurance

Discussion in 'Auto Accidents, Injuries' started by Jon1980B, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jon1980B

Jon1980B Law Topic Starter New Member

My aunt was involved in a car accident about 2 years ago where the other driver's insurance accepted the liability, and we had reached a bodily injury settlement, and paid Medicare lien, and Medicare lien is satisfied, and CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) had closed the case. However, Medicare is retaining the other person's insurance as the primary plan for liability, and motor vehicle for 3 years from the date of accident. The other person's insurance no longer has legal responsibility to provide coverage to my aunt due to having reached the settlement and having satisfied Medicare lien. In this situation, how is Medicare able to retain the other person's insurance as , the primary plan for liability, and motor vehicle for 3 years from the date of accident? I am worried that if my aunt gets into another car accident during the remainder of the 3 years, and need medical care., Medicare will not provide coverage, and neither will the other person's insurance.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Right. For any medical treatment required as a result of only that accident.

A new accident starts a whole new claim.

hrforme likes this.
  3. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known Member

Just where does WE come in?

army judge likes this.
  4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I heard that Tonto once asked the same thing of his pal The Lone Ranger.

Highwayman likes this.