Medical bills for deceased

Status
Not open for further replies.

krthom

My father passed away 8 months ago. He had a simple will, but left no properties of any kind ... house, vehicles etc, only a joint checking account with my mom and I. My mom was the beneficiary for his life insurance. We are now receiving medical bills from 2 different hospitals. Are we liable for these, and are there any types of medical bills, such as a Medicare deductible, that we would be obligated to pay? Thank you.

My condolences in the loss of your dad.
As hs daughter, you aren't liable for any of his alleged debts.
His estate might have liability for his hospital and medical debts.
That should be addressed during probate proceedings of his will.
I suggest you advise mom to retain the services of a probate attorney to assist her through the process.
The last thing mom wants or needs is FREE advice.

My father passed away 8 months ago. He had a simple will, but left no properties of any kind ... house, vehicles etc, only a joint checking account with my mom and I. My mom was the beneficiary for his life insurance. We are now receiving medical bills from 2 different hospitals. Are we liable for these, and are there any types of medical bills, such as a Medicare deductible, that we would be obligated to pay? Thank you.

You have my sympathy on the loss of your Father.
You, as his child, have no responsibility for his medical bills as long as you didn't sign anything that you would be.
Life ins. passes outside the estate & goes to the beneficiary named to do with as they wish.
Generally the estate is liable for money owed to creditors.
There is a "doctrine of necessaries" which can make one spouse responsible for the medical bills of another but my understanding is Florida abolished this doctrine.
You might want to have your Mother talk to a probate attorney as suggested - he/she will assist Mom through the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back