Medical bill

Samj

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me in any way with my dilemma. A medical facility is trying to charge me close to $400 because I supposedly didn't pay for 2 of my visits to see my doctor. I didn't receive this bill until 2 weeks after I stopped seeing this doctor. I had insurance during both visits. The oldest one was from 06/2018 and the most recent was 01/2019. I saw the doctor in 03/19 the last time. It was never brought up any other time I saw the doctor. This one time my insurance was being updated and they weren't able to Bill me and told me that if I didn't pay them I wouldn't be able to see the doctor so I paid out of pocket. So how they missed two separate visits when my insurance was working fine baffles me. Every time I've called to speak to the person in charge of billing the lady at the front desk tells me that both people from billing are on vacation and they have no way to contact them. I've worked customer service all my life and I know they're just giving me the runaround. They said they would pause the bills that they're sending, but they haven't. They are sending one every 2 weeks, but won't let me talk to anyone from their billing department. This has been going on for 4 months. I have left voicemails but nobody calls me back and the 2 people are still on "vacation". Is there anything I can do? I don't want it to affect my credit or it to be sent to a collection agency.

If I can get pointed in the right direction it would be very helpful. I don't want to have to pay for something that I've already paid for.
Thank you.

Every time I've called to speak to the person in charge of billing the lady at the front desk tells me that both people from billing are on vacation and they have no way to contact them.

Have you attempted to visit in person and clear this matter up?

It is harder to deceive a person if you stand before the liar than if you are speaking to the liar over the telephone.

You might also ask to speak with a boss, or even the biggest boss about the billing problems.

Bosses do solve issues, and become annoyed when their underlings play "hide N seek" causing the boss to do EXTRA work.

Did you, in fact, visit the doctor on these dates?

Did you, in fact, confirm with the insurance whether the bills were submitted to them?

Do you, in fact, have any kind of evidence (cancelled check, credit card statements) showing that you made payment?

Did you, in fact, visit the doctor on these dates?

Did you, in fact, confirm with the insurance whether the bills were submitted to them?

Do you, in fact, have any kind of evidence (cancelled check, credit card statements) showing that you made payment?
I have my bank statement from one of them saying it was paid for that visit. The other I can't find since it was a year ago. When I told the receptionist she said that she put me on hold for 15 minutes then told me her boss said I have to call billing to fix it. I told her I've been trying and asked to speak to the boss. She said her boss was on her way out of the office as she asked her. She said the only ones that can look into it are the two people from billing.

Have you attempted to visit in person and clear this matter up?

It is harder to deceive a person if you stand before the liar than if you are speaking to the liar over the telephone.

You might also ask to speak with a boss, or even the biggest boss about the billing problems.

Bosses do solve issues, and become annoyed when their underlings play "hide N seek" causing the boss to do EXTRA work.
I have not tried to go in person because I work during the week and it's an hour drive to the office. I don't want to go and be told that they still aren't there.

I have not tried to go in person because I work during the week and it's an hour drive to the office. I don't want to go and be told that they still aren't there.

Perhaps you could send someone with a POA to discuss the matter on your behalf.

Good luck with whatever YOU decide or even if you keep the "status quo".

There exist such things as scanners, email and fax machines. Think outside the box. There's more ways than phone calls to get in touch with someone. I promise you that the billing office has an email. Scan the statement showing the payment and make use of it.

Another option is to just pay the bills and then submit them to your insurance for reimbursement.

Consider that before they get sent to a collection agency.

A medical facility is trying to charge me close to $400

Can you explain what "trying to charge" means? It seems from the rest of your post that the provider actually is charging you and is not just "trying to charge" you.

I had insurance during both visits.

Did you submit the provider's bills to your insurer and ask that they be paid? If not, why not? If so, what happened?

Is there anything I can do?

Sure. You can pay the bills or send them to your insurer for payment.

I don't want to have to pay for something that I've already paid for.

If you think you've already paid these bills, then simply send the provider proof of your payment (either copies of your credit card statements showing payment or copies of the cancelled checks -- I'm assuming you didn't pay in cash).

The other I can't find since it was a year ago.

Banks typically keep copies of statements for 5-7 years, so getting a copy should not be a problem.

There exist such things as scanners, email and fax machines. Think outside the box. There's more ways than phone calls to get in touch with someone. I promise you that the billing office has an email. Scan the statement showing the payment and make use of it.

Or, you know, just make copies and mail them.

Back