Medicaid estate recovery claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoslayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
My mother bought a house with my grandmother together about 3 or 4 years ago. Actually March 2005
My mother and grandmother lived in the house and my mother cared for my grandmother until 9/19/2007

My grandmother was in a medicaid nursing home. my mother who failed to go to the correct type of attorney has a deed that says: joint tenants right of survivorship.

Dose this keep the government from taking the house. My mother has nowhere else to go.

The state also says if she makes less than $21,660 a year they wont take it.
Is that gross income adjusted gross income or taxable income?

If my grandmothers part of the equity is less than $5,000 is this determined by comps within how much distance? Dose this account for Realtor fees and improvements to home?

This is very urgent as I was getting ready to rent a property to somebody else while I moved in with a room mate but I might need to keep my place now.

Is your grandmother alive?
Where does your mother reside?
How does home ownership of either person affect you?

Has Medicaid filed a lawsuit to seize the home?

my grandmother died.
my mother has a deed to the house with her name on it that says joint tenants right of surviorship.
my mother has lived in the house since she and my grandmother bought it together in march 2005
there is no way my mother could get another mort.
it affects me because i am getting ready to rent a house to a family because i can not afford the mort right now but if the state takes the house i will put my mother into my house and not this other family.
no they have not filed a lawsuit. it seems they sent us a form letter stating they might come after it.

my grandmother died.
my mother has a deed to the house with her name on it that says joint tenants right of surviorship.
my mother has lived in the house since she and my grandmother bought it together in march 2005
there is no way my mother could get another mort.
it affects me because i am getting ready to rent a house to a family because i can not afford the mort right now but if the state takes the house i will put my mother into my house and not this other family.
no they have not filed a lawsuit. it seems they sent us a form letter stating they might come after it.

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.
I hope your family is healing.
God bless you all.

Okay.
Your mother should inherit the house as she was granny's next of kin.
She also should have been able to become the sole owner due to the deed.
If one of them passed, the home would revert to the other in totality.
She should go to the courthouse in your area, and file to be the only person on the deed.
The local recorder's office should help her (or you) with accomplishing that.

Yes, Medicaid does try to steal the homes of many people.
This may not happen in your case, unless SSI was involved.
If granny was receiving SSI (or mom), then you might want to speak with Medicaid or Social Security.
Make an appointment and go the closest SS Office.

Good luck.
Keep me posted, if you get push-back or rejection.
I've a couple more tricks you can try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back