Mechanics lien (claim of lien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumkie

I had some roof work done a couple months ago through a roofing company. However, today I received a *mechanics lien (claim of lien) stating that I owe a certain balance from the roofing companies supplier. It seems as if the supplier was not paid by the roofing company. By the way, I paid the roofing company the full balance.

I don't understand why the supplier is asking me for this money and not the roofing company. Why don't they simply take the roofing company to small claims? Could anyone please advice on the best procedure of handling this situation? I really appreciate all your help.
Best regards.

Why don't they simply take the roofing company to small claims?

Because presumably your unnamed state's lien legislation gives them the right to file against your house, and because you are a more attractive defendant to them than the roofer.

When you paid the roofer, did they provide any sort of certificate that their suppliers had been paid? Did you retain any holdback?

The state is California.
Also, we have a contract stating by the roofing company "all of the work to be completed including labor and material for the sum..."

What steps should I take?

You should consult an attorney. It may be that the lien is not valid (if you didn't get proper notice, if it wasn't filed in time, etc.) and you can have it struck.

If it's valid, you're in a bit of a jam. You might have to pay it out and go after the contractor to be compensated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back