Mechanic "friend" owes me money

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaffmate

A mechanic that I used to use ordered a gearbox for my car from New Zealand NZ to be sent to Australia. The mechanic told me that he did not have the money to buy the gearbox which was $2,500.oo AU. So I deposited the funds into the mechanics account. NZ sent over a gearbox, but it was the wrong one. It was sent back. They sent over another garbox, again the wrong one. But this one was also damaged in transit. It was sent back. All this took 1 1/2months to do, meanwhile I was hiring another van to keep me mobile. In the end I asked the mechanic to get my money back and I will chase down another business to fix up my gearbox. the other business was one that the mechanic advised me to use.
But the NZ company did not give back the total amount of $2,500.00 back to the mechanic. It was short $650.00. After a lot of phonecalls by the mechanic to NZ, the mechanic had decided that he was spending too much money in phonecalls and just basically wanted the problem to go away. He hasn't denied that he owes me the money as I gave the money to him and not the NZ company. But he is broke (so he says) and he has also said that I cant get blood out of a stone.
So that is where it is at for now. He recently had surgury on his back, so I am biding my time to see if he gets himself right so that I can do something legally. I am thinking Small claims, but what can I do if he still does not pay me the remainder total of $650.00.
I told him I paid for a gearbox, but I never recieved it. So I wanted my money back and he didn't give me back the whole initial amount, so he owes me the money no matter which way you look at it.
What can you suggest I do. regards Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back