mcworldstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcworldstar

I have a question about the legalitys of music distribution. I have specialty radio shows
I have created with various songs. I understand royalties must be paid on the copyright
songs used. I'm basically looking to mass produce music productions and package and
sell in the US, very similar to what "Time Life Music" packages and sells. Need info on steps I need to take to do this. Do I need to purchase a Music Distribution License???
Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

You may do best contacing the Harry Fox Agency which deals with the mechanical license (on royalties and sale) for the creator of the song but you may need additional license as well for the recorded version of the song. To give you an idea, Joanna writes a song that she plays with her band but another band covers it and records it (with permission from Joanna) and that version becomes famous. Good examples might include Van Halen's "Your Really Got Me" - originally written and recorded by The Kinks' Ray Davies. You'd need permission of Ray Davies for the song and Van Halen to include their recording. on your CD. I think that compilation CDs aren't so straightforward and more contractual in nature on a case to case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back