martial status of deceased change on spouse's death certificate

Glen Weldon

Jurisdiction
Oregon
My girlfriend received a response to an application question. The Oregon health authority agent, Melissa Shaw stated that, if the informant ( his daughter ) on the death certificate refuses to allow the change of marital status at the time of death of her deceased spouse, she would have to petition the court that to change the marital status on the Death certificate, a court order would be needed for the Health Statistics dept. to amend the death certificate. What form do I use to file this petition myself?

My girlfriend received a response to an application question. The Oregon health authority agent, Melissa Shaw stated that, if the informant ( his daughter ) on the death certificate refuses to allow the change of marital status at the time of death of her deceased spouse, she would have to petition the court that to change the marital status on the Death certificate, a court order would be needed for the Health Statistics dept. to amend the death certificate. What form do I use to file this petition myself?

Oregon Health Authority : Make Changes to a Birth or Death Record : Change Vital Records : State of Oregon

EDIT: If a court order is truly required, then this is likely one of those things for which there is no specific form.

My girlfriend received a response to an application question.

What sort of application?

The Oregon health authority agent . . . stated that, if the informant ( his daughter ) on the death certificate refuses to allow the change of marital status at the time of death of her deceased spouse, she would have to petition the court that to change the marital status on the Death certificate, a court order would be needed for the Health Statistics dept. to amend the death certificate.

This is completely convoluted. You say that the agent stated that the informant (apparently the daughter of the deceased man) "refuses to allow the change of marital status at the time of death of her deceased spouse," then the daughter/informant would have to seek a court order. What does the "marital status . . . of [the informant/daughter's] deceased spouse have to do with the informant/daughter's father's death certificate?

What form do I use to file this petition myself?

Nothing in your post indicates this situation has anything to do with you or that you'd have any standing to do anything. If you want to clarify what exactly you're talking about, someone may be able to point your girlfriend in the right direction.

I completely agree that it was very convoluted.

It seems that the only thing that the marital status of the deceased is used for is to compile statistics on mortality rates based on marital status. Why should it be changed?

Yeah, why does it make any difference what the death certificate says about marital status?
I see two possibilities.

This could be an emotional response.
-or-
There could be a belief that the notation on the death certificate would somehow prove a marriage existed or didn't exist. It doesn't offer conclusive proof either way.

Back