Married in Vietnam- can still get married in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandodude

If one is married in Vietnam but the exit visa for my wife was denied (she cannot come to United States)...can I get legally married in Florida state?

-Thank you.

If one is married in Vietnam but the exit visa for my wife was denied (she cannot come to United States)...can I get legally married in Florida state?
What are you asking? If your wife can illegally come to the US so you can get married here to "validate" her status?

No. Asking if it would be a legitimate marriage if I married someone else (us citizen) in Florida?

Or would my marriage within Vietnam nullify a marriage in any state here- if found out?

I've never been married in any state. Doesn't one neeed to asnwer if they've ever been married before?

To get divorced from Xuan back in VN would cost tens of thousands of dollars.

So, I want to know if it's legally OK for me to state that I have not been married before (within any state- unsure how they specify that question) and any marriage here within any State would be legally legitimate?

Thanks

My understanding is that a foreign marriage can be recognized in the US. It is possible that you might be able to get a divorce in the US but I'm not sure and haven't looked into it although I know it has been done successfully in some cases. Is there mutual consent?

There would be mutual consent, yes.

While foreign marriage can be recognized by the US, how can a US State find out about it?

When a person files for marriage in a US state, what does the state do to ensure the people haven't been married before outside the United States?

I have explained this to my girlfriend who is a US Citizen. I desire to marry her. I cannot see how any State we'd get married in would check with every country in the world to see if I was married before outside the USA.

They'd have to call the US Embassy in every country we have an Embassy. No state does this. Logistical impossibility.

I have all the original legal documents from Vietnam.

If you are not aware Vietnam is one of the most corrupt countries there is to do business in.

If they see an American wanting to divorce a Vietnamese woman I may be paying a ridiculous amount of money.

But then- maybe this is a good thing. I wouldn't be concerned about this at all if my girlfriend wasn't very religious.

All I want to know is:

1) Could I just go ahead and get married in Florida even though I was married in Vietnam just ignoring the marriage there totally- or could that somehow come to light years later?

2) If I wanted to do the honest thing and get a divorce, it may set me back financially in a very significant way.

What sort of lawyer would I need to contact who would KNOW the answers to my questions? Immigration or Divorce lawyer?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back