Married in Jamaica & can not change name at DMV in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klittle

My husband and I were married in Jamaica this past December. We just moved to Colorado and I went to social security office and changed my last name but today when I went to DMV they denied me. They said they do not accept out of USA marriage license. Is this legal?

My husband and I were married in Jamaica this past December. We just moved to Colorado and I went to social security office and changed my last name but today when I went to DMV they denied me. They said they do not accept out of USA marriage license. Is this legal?

It might cost a tad more, but change your passport (or obtain a passport) using the name reflected on your social security card.
Once you get your new (or updated) US Passport, use that, along with your social security card to effect a change of name on your drivers license.

Good luck.

Funny I just said that 15 minutes before I read this. I am defiantly going to go this route.
just a note... The DMV said the social security card is just an identifying number not a name document! Also the security in the FED building was totally upscale compared to the DMV.
I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Funny I just said that 15 minutes before I read this. I am defiantly going to go this route.
just a note... The DMV said the social security card is just an identifying number not a name document! Also the security in the FED building was totally upscale compared to the DMV.
I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

There are many ways to climb the bureaucratic mountains. LOL
You'll need to send a copy of your Jamaican marriage license.
It must bear the official, raised seal of the recording authority.
If they use an official stamp, they'll probably accept that, too.
One last note: In some cases the foreign document must be accompanied by an apostille.
An apostille is a sort of legal translation.
Be sure to read the State Department instructions, as with English documents, the apostille requirement is waived.
Use their "800" number to inquire, just to be sure.
Good luck, and I wish you a happy marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back