Married at 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyRockz

I am 16. Almost 17. My step dad/adopted father is in prison for molestation. My mother kicked me out. I live in Missouri with my grandparents. None of them approve of me getting married. How/where can I get married without parental consent or can I be emancipated?

You can't and no.

There is no state where you can get married when you are under the age of 18 unless you have parental permission, permission from the court, or both.

When you are living on your own and paying 100% of your own expenses without any assistance from anyone (that means YOU are paying the rent, utiliites, food, clothing, medical care, transportation, insurance, staples, school fees and supplies, etc.), that will be time enough to be thinking about emancipation. Your petition would be denied right out of hand otherwise.

Stay with your grandparents until you are 18 (if you can't live at home) & then decide what you want. You may even no longer want to get married. It looks like you're from Oklahoma but live in Missouri with your grandparents.

There's no way you can get emancipated at this time.

If your grandparents are guardians, or custodial parents, (and you live in Missouri) they can give consent for you to marry in Missouri, but not if you live in Oklahoma.

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/oklahoma/index.shtml

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/missouri/index.shtml

Once a minor is married, they are effectively emancipated by virtue of the marriage.

In your state of residence is Missouri:
If you are under the age of 18:

A person under age 18 can marry with the consent of the custodial parent or guardian.

A person under age 15 cannot marry without approval of a judge in the county where the marriage license is sought.
The statute states that the judge should grant approval only upon a showing of "good cause" and that unusual conditions make the marriage "advisable."
Persons lacking mental capacity to consent to marriage cannot marry without court approval.

If your state of residence is Oklahoma:
If you are under the age of 18:
Your parents (ONLY) must appear at the courthouse with the couple wishing to marry in order to sign a consent form.
Minors must wait three days before the marriage license is valid.

And if they refuse to give consent, then you won't be getting married until you are 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back